IGNORED

Which is the threshold for audible THD in % for untrained audiophiles ?

Yes, it is caused by the non-linearity of the transfer function.

But, how it manifests is not exactly obvious from a harmonic measurement test or simulation.  A few hours in front of a spectrum analyzer measuring a multi-tone communications system will prove that to anybody who actually is interested.  No math analysis required.

My point is that while a simulation of pure harmonic distortion is interesting, it doesn't really replicate what happens due to that non-linearity in an actual system.  (System meaning a a bunch of components put together to produce a result - for audio, it's to eventually move some air based to stimulate a listener's aural system.)

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

My simulation, for example, creates a variable, user-controlled non-linearity and applies it to any test signal, including the best hi-res audiophile recording or a 1000 multi-tone test signal. There's no frequency-domain manipulation involved, other than to display the resulting spectrum.

Is the distortion frequency dependent in any way?

Slightly OT, but I'm curious...  Is there any kind of "memory" dependency available for the distortion profile?  Example: Thermal effects.

38 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

The simulation has a 'feedback' simulation that simulates the effect of a frequency-dependent negative of positive feedback. This is not meant to perfectly reproduce any specific device, but rather to let me play with various types and amounts of distortions and test myself if I can hear them. Jitter is another distortion that can be simulated and mixed with the effects of harmonic distortion, as an example.

OK - good to know.  

I'm sure you know that basic device linearity is not only a function of operating conditions, intrinsic device design, but also of frequency.  That certainly would affect the results of your simulation.  (That wasn't specifically directed at you, but at people reading...)

Is the jitter actual phase/frequency modulation of the entire spectrum or is it simulated by adding the resulting noise sidebands to each tone?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

There was a reference posted to an old paper proposing a multi-tone test for harmonic distortion. Here's a monster test signal that I'm currently using :) Not something that was easy to generate in 1978, when the paper was written! This is showing non-linearity, so plenty of harmonic and inter-modulation distortion, but all below -100dB.

This test looks very promising.  Audio Precision offers something similar, for a price.

In your example, some of the distortion tones are about 65 dB below the level of the "desired" tones.  If you add the power of all these up, it really is imposing, since there's so many distortion products.  Just as the paper spelled out.

I'm not the guy doing the work, so this is only me wondering aloud...

What would be really cool is the ability to shape the amplitude profile of the tones.  My reasoning is that music and most other sound has a definite spectral profile.  You just don't find as much 19 KHz energy in your average concert or park setting compared to 2 KHz.  So, although having the test tones be equal in level certainly stresses the system, it may not be realistic enough to provide much insight to the system as a sound reproducer, as opposed to a test signal reproducer.  Probably, somewhere, somebody has compiled a representative profile of sound amplitudes under various conditions.  Maybe that curve could be a built-in option.  You could call it PK-weighting or something like that.  Be famous in your own time.

In communications systems, these kids of tests are often used for the reasons you suggest.  What is done is to turn off a couple of the tones and measure the level of IMD where that tone used to be.  Often, bandpass filters are used before the spectrum analyzer so that the other tones don't cause distortion within the spectrum analyzer itself.  (A real problem, btw...)