IGNORED

HD Streaming Comparison: Amazon, IDAGIO, Qobuz, Spotify Premium, Tidal

IDAGIO does have more detail in their search engine. Qobuz's search is a bit frustrating to use. I typically search for the composition and the artist or conductor for specific results. IDAGIO is definitely best for seeing all of the performances for a given composition. For my own use, I do like Spotify's search results which seem more visually oriented in its design.

• 6 months later...

Adding Primephonic (a classical-only service) to the list as well:

My subjective impressions of the musicality of the major HD streaming services: 

1. Qobuz

2. Primephonic

3. Spotify Premium (320 kbps Ogg Vorbis which is not lossless)

4. IDAGIO

5. Amazon HD

6 Tidal

Round 5: Qobuz vs Primephonic: 

Sound quality: A Primephonic's sound quality was quite good, but Qobuz' sound quality was still noticeably better. Qobuz provides more presence around instruments and voices while Primephonic, though good, tends to sound more 2-dimensional in its sound quality. The benefit of more presence is that recordings are more engaging because they sound more alive rather than just being reproduced.

Amount of Content: Also, Primephonic's lack of music content was an issue. When I did searches, I would often only be able to see one track shown from an album. Qobuz also has this issue, but to a lesser degree. Qobuz has enough gaps in content filled so that this is not so much of an issue.

Search Quality: From what I remember, search in Primephonic was difficult to use. For classical music, it is important to me to be able to be able to filter on performer and/or conductor. This seemed to be difficult to do in Primephonic. Spotify's search is best, but I'm finding Qobuz's search to be passably good.

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Topk said:

I appreciate that you put Spotify so high in your list. It’s highly counter intuitive to say the least and probably highly controversial since “hey it’s lossy!”, but I find Spotify musical as well, and thicker/darker sounding which can help tame bright systems.

And I do agree with Tidal at or near the bottom. Highly controversial again. I find it too bright and thin personally for my taste. And I tried 4-5 times to make sure in different system iterations. 

Did you try YouTube Music? Interesting flavor, soundstage wise. 

I haven't tried YouTube Music. Is YouTube Music available via a network streamer instead of just via a computer?

I find Spotify's shortcomings are "errors of omission" for which there could be some level of detail, presence or air around instruments and voices missing, but what's there is enjoyable. And, I agree 100% that those qualities may actually be beneficial for systems that sound overly bright.

1 hour ago, matthias said:

I agree,

there are rumours that selected users in the US, the UK and Sweden get Spotify lossless streamed to their devices.

This is not visible on the Spotify app. The listening impressions so far seem to be that it is musically much superior to Spotify Ogg Vorbis. Did you or some audiophile friends notice something in respect to?

Thanks

Matt

I've not been notified that I am receiving Spotify Lossless so I don't think my Spotify stream has changed at all. I'd be curious to test it for sure.

Even if Spotify Lossless is good, I would probably still continue my Qobuz subscription to support an alternative streaming choice to Spotify. I appreciate the substantial steps that Qobuz has done to improve streaming sound quality. I say this with Tidal in mind. I didn't like how Tidal purported to improve streaming sound quality, but that actually was a front to try to get a scheme in place to be able to extract royalties.