IGNORED

In search of speakers that are more efficient

14 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am in the middle of assembling a new system here for myself, and am strongly considering SET amplification, or no more than 40-45 watts of 211 tube power. I am not sure yet...

Anyway, I am not up to date on the realm of more efficient speakers, my current pair are Sonus Faber Olympica 1s with a 4 ohm / 87db rating, not exactly efficient.

So, where do I need to be looking and listening?

Thanks.

edit: If it matters, the room is 15.5 x 14 feet with a flat ceiling and will be treated.

Find the speakers you love first... their characteristics will drive which class/type amp is best choice. I rarely hear SET amplifiers used other than with horn speakers... these

have their own unique characteristics for sound.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I did, they're called the HiFiman Susvara headphone...

This would be an excellent future proof purchase, The Linear Tube Audio Electrostatic headphone amplifier ( unless you plan to buy a Raal SR1A  :<) )

High/low impedance headphone jacks,  STAX type headphone plug and 12 w to drive speakers. Berning design means tubes  stay relatively linear in tone color

response, fast transients and no problems with low end bass.

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/z10e-electrostatic-headphone-amp-integrated-amp

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is that for Electrostatic headphones only? The Susvara's are planar magnetic.

It supports all... future proof. I listened through it at CAF with the Meze Empyreans  and the Dan Clark Voce's, pretty impressive. They also have a model down

thats limited to standard headphones, the MZ3 which is the later upgraded version of the MZ2 I use. It puts out 1W for speakers, vs the 12W amp section

of the Electrostatic headphone amp.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

It supports all... future proof. I listened through it at CAF with the Meze Empyreans  and the Dan Clark Voce's, pretty impressive. They also have a model down

thats limited to standard headphones, the MZ3 which is the later upgraded version of the MZ2 I use. It puts out 1W for speakers, vs the 12W amp section

of the Electrostatic headphone amp.

Ahh, a correction. Was not the Voce's I heard, but the Stax SR-009's. Apologies for the confusion

Regards,

Dave

Audio system