IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This will be a difficult one for me for a coupe reasons, but also should illuminate more about the SR1a.

1. I'm traditionally not a big fan of headphones, especially when I can turn my office chair and listen to my main system. Not suggesting one's system is better or worse than mine, but it's just what I'm used to and fortunate enough to have in my house. 

2. These headphones are unlike anything else on the market with respect to design and unlike 99.999% of headphones with respect to how they work on one's head. 

So far I believe these headphones have zero problems playing dynamic material at loud levels. They can make my ears hurt if I turn up the volume, yet still reproduce the impact, drum head detail, and air around instruments without fault.

Competitiveness compared to other headphones is tricky. For these I only had to purchase the cans and the interface box. I already had DACs and amps that I could connect. If I went with something like the Stax 009, which was my other frontrunner, I'd have had to purchase the cans and a very good electrostatic amp. For the money and my situation, these are a no brainer. 

Much more to come. Keep the feedback coming as well. 

P.S. I forgot to address my 1. above. These headphones aren't like headphones at all. I'm not averse to these and have worn them for probably 13 hours since yesterday. I've only turned my big system on once in that time. These are the non-headphone guys' headphones, as well as the traditional headphone guys' headphones. 

These days $10K for a high end headphone and headphone amp is pretty typical.... that would have shocked 4 years ago.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really curious how comfortable these are. Most headphones have a decided fatigue factor  for wearing that limits their utility; weight on the head, pressure points on the ear.

That's one reason I liked the Dan Clark Ether 2, you were hardly aware you were wearing it. And a reason why I haven't bought any of the Audeze LCD series despite liking

the sound signature. When paying ~ $3-4k for a headphone, it needs to be comfortable for 4-8 hours of listening, not distract with discomfort.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You are correct about the Primaluna Integrated putting out 70wpc, but that's with the EL-34 tubes. It will go up with the KT150s which it can also run. The monoblock amplifiers put out 140wpc with the EL-34s.

I owned the piece you are talking about.. it only put out about 35 watts with 2 EL 34 per side,the 70 watts was with KT 150's. The monoblocks tube specification is KT120, 

recognizable from their bottle shape.  To get 140 watts from EL34 can be done if your amplifier uses 4 per side...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, as I'm enjoying reading this thread, and I'm glad people have found a form of audio bliss. But...I'm keep thinking how great it is that I don't really like headphone listening: Otherwise I"d be wondering how I could get $5K together to enjoy these phones. 

I  have about 7 headphones. None of which I would describe as comfortable for more than 4 hours of listening, eventually the pressure points/trapped heat become fatiguing.

So extended listening wear comfort has become as big a factor for me in buying any next headphone as sound quality.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 10:06 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I got the Parasound HINT 6 integrated in today and connected it to the SR1a right away. This is a terrific amplifier. It's ultra quiet and right now, with virtually zero hours on it, I think it's a giant killer. Can't wait to get more time on it. 

Curious if you have any more feedback on the Parasound amp section? Not many reviews out there of the A23+ amp section thats part of the Hint 6.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...