Niner

Naim UnitQute Volume Control

Rate this question

Question

I'm considering purchasing a used Naim UnitQute. I will have this as a desktop unit connected to my iMac USB to SPDIF connector the back of the unit listening to Tidal.

I'm curious if I adjust the volume on my computer will it adjust the volume through the Naim? There is no front volume control on the Naim and I know they have an app for this but I don't want to open the app each time to adjust or mute the volume.

Also, can I run a subwoofer through the pre amp output?

Thank you, John.

1 answer to this question

On 1/12/2020 at 10:56 AM, Niner said:

I'm considering purchasing a used Naim UnitQute. I will have this as a desktop unit connected to my iMac USB to SPDIF connector the back of the unit listening to Tidal.

I'm curious if I adjust the volume on my computer will it adjust the volume through the Naim? There is no front volume control on the Naim and I know they have an app for this but I don't want to open the app each time to adjust or mute the volume.

Also, can I run a subwoofer through the pre amp output?

Thank you, John.

Depending on the program you can control the UQ, though you are actually just controlling the volume of whatever software on your MAC is sending music to the UQ, not the UQ itself. For example Roon will allow me to send fixed volume or use the software to control the volume (I prefer fixed). Be sure it comes with the Naim remote control, as it is a very good one and then you don't need the app at all. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs.