BobJB

Grounding / earthing Digione Signature and Shanti

Rate this question

Question

I have a digione Signature and shanti power supply. On the shanti there is a grounding / earthing terminal. I’m thinking of connecting it to one of the USB ports on the RPi using a modified USB cable. I don’t really understand grounding or earthing (is there a difference?). Could anyone with better knowledge tell me if what I plan to do would be an effective way of grounding / earthing?  Many thanks. 

9 answers to this question

There are many, many correct definitions for lower case ground/earth.

And many more incorrect ones!

But  'grounding / earthing terminal' often refers to the AC power Safety Ground/Protective Earth.

or it many refer to a components metal chassis.

a USB port is neither of these.

Thanks Speedskater. So do you know how to properly ground / earth the shanti specifically?  I’ve read elsewhere that a wire connecting it to the circuit board of the RPi is the right thing to do. IIRC that guidance came from the Shanti manufacturer. But I don’t see anywhere on the board to connect it to. 

Never run an external wire to a circuit board common (aka ground). That's just an invitation for trouble.

A power supply ground terminal doesn't need to be connected to anything. It's for other components that need to be connected to it.

I should add that the reason I want to Earth it in the first place is because i get a pop sound through the speakers when I stop playing a song. I’m guessing that earthing it may remove the popping. 

from the manual:

DigiOne Signature has been designed for converting I2S signal to S/PDIF.

It's galvanically isolated. The clean board is isolated (ground and signals) from the dirty side.

I think that your problem is elsewhere.