IGNORED

851N HiRes without USB cable?

Arno P

I would like to play HiRes audio files streamed from TIDAL without having them stored on a HDD/NAS and above all without an USB cable running from my macbook to the network player (CA 851N)

Fig1, is the easiest and looks nice with artwork on the display...but only CD quality max

Fig2, I do get the 96kHz but....need a USB cable across the room

Fig3, without the function of storing files on the NAS, could a NAS just have the function of what the macbook has? In that way there would be a USB cable from NAS to 851N and streaming files from TIDAL to 851N and this would be controlled wirelessly via iPad/Iphone/Macbook. Can this be done?

STREAMINGNETWORK.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

In the meantime I bought an iPad with the idea to control the 851N with it and even though the CA app is still a bit basic (listing fav instead of a full screen tile view, the progress bar when playing at the bottom of the screen shows a previous song and does not change after playing new songs, the progress slider doesn't seem to function to scroll through the song and there is no back/forward button nor a volume control for the 851N in it)...
I tried the iPad and the iPhone in parallel and while switching the same songs (same settings on max 192kHz) there was a clear difference on my system. Via iPhone it sounded natural and via iPad there was irritating sharpness in the mids. (Qobuz, no need for the USB cable to go even to 192kHz)

How can this be?

Not being familiar with the brand of product you use, please confirm that you're running the same app on both iPad and iPhone, and confirm that your music signal does not go through the iPad and iPhone, and you're not using AirPlay.

The next thing is to isolate WiFi differences.  You have to have different SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the WiFi router setup.  Then you can be sure which WiFi band you're using.

I recall a home visit to an audiophile who is using a Swiss brand of DAC (not ours) and a different Swiss brand of amplifiers (not ours), and he claims that the two WiFi bands sound different to him even though music data does not pass through the tablet.  One theory is that it is possible for WiFi RFI to interfere with audio equipment to make an impact on SQ.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Correct, same app on IPad/Iphone both should only function as a remote for the Cambridge Audio 851N and I am not using airplay. The CA is connected to the network via an ethernet cable. Good tip to check the WiFi bands of the modem (and/or freeze this to 1 setting to compare again)

• 2 months later...

You question has finally been answered by Cambridge Audio. The 851N is now Roon ready! The fidelity of everything streamed using Roon through the 851 including Tidal is simply spectacular and the best digital material I have ever expirienced. Even my ripped flac encoded CD' have never sounded this good. I don't know how Roon does it, but the truth is in the pudding. It works amazingly with the 851N.