IGNORED

DAC in Oppo UDP-205 Disc Player

How do you prevent the unit from shutting down and going to sleep when only using the DAC?

Go into Device setup menu of the Setup menu Check your Auto Power Off is off to disable it.

Turn Sleep Timer Off which is default at Off. 

I leave my Oppo on all the time never had a problem with shutting down or sleeping. Its worth going through the setup manual and going through all the Oppos menus to check settings. It does take time but worth it especially to optimise playback settings. 

The DAC is superb and my main DAC after selling the Benchmark DAC2. There are better DACs but cost much more. DAC's have not advanced much in the last year or so I believe. 

For dedicated audio use I also disconnect any connection to the internet, wireless in particular caused interference issues with my speakers. I only use the Oppo in stereo so have also disconnected the power supply feed to the 7.1 Analog board under the hood. This is a worthwhile audio improvement. It only involves pulling the plug from the power supply board, so easily replaced. Only do this if you know what you are doing otherwise get a Techman. Does void warranty but is harmless to the machine if less than 2 years old from purchase. Warranty on mine is long gone.

The power supply in the Oppo 205 is better than the Sonica. The UDP-205 has two separate power supplies, digital(switch mode) and analog audio circuitry is powered by a toroidal power transformer(not sure how linear this is). 

The only issues I have had are HDMI connection ones with video sources from TV tuner and computer when switching from one to another causes audio sync problems or screen goes purple. I think this is largely an HDMI problem but remains unsolved. It is an excellent Blue ray/DVD player. Bloody shame they stopped making them.

Robert 

• 3 weeks later...

As a direct result of this topic I have changed the Switch mode power supply for a Linear one and boy does this make a large difference to sound and picture.

I still have the original 205 Linear power supply in place as well.

I would suggest anyone using a Sonica or Oppo video players should investigate this upgrade. I don't use the analogue multi channel board so left this out. Robert

I considered 3 devices Coris from Eu($400US), Oppomod from Korea($360US) and Chinese made LPS($200US). I chose the Chinese on price and it certainly looked well engineered. No doubt it could be better as all devices can be. It arrived well packaged and was easily fitted into 205. My only reservation is the onboard plug connectors were not as the original but plugs did fit them and seemed very secure. Firing up all worked perfectly. Audio was immediately noticable as smoother less sharp(digital) sounding. Noise floor reduced. But the picture gosh more depth in colours, sharper image. All I can say is for the money its easily justified for the improvements and Linear Power supplies are well worth trying. My Oppo 205 is 230volt with a Nordost Heimdall II power cord feeding it. By all accounts from other web sites the Coris is better sounding but was double the price with higher freight cost. As you would expect. Now I'm looking at my computer's LPS possibilities.  

205 LPS.docx

I certainly get a better sound using digital audio files through Xxhighend output to 205 Dac by USB than CD, SACD, and PCM discs. The only discs I play regularly are DVD/Blueray live music concerts. But I've found digital music files much better than CD's ever since I entered the computer audio world. At the time I had a dedicated Meridian 200 transport upgraded, into a Benchmark DAC1 with Nordost digital connect. I was in a state of shock when this sound was beaten by a laptop with Foobar into M2 Tech Hiface DAC24/192 through a Benchmark DAC1 playing ripped 16/44 wave files from my CD's.

I'm just trying to keep mine from going to sleep (I have to unplug it to get any control over it at all).

Ralf have you contacted Oppo support? I've found them very good.

Also try resetting machine to default settings. You will then have to reset all your settings for video and audio in the menus. If this doesn't work then you may have a fault somewhere. Robert 

• 1 month later...

I have to say I looked at buying this option when buying the LPS but really the increase in sound quality is marginal compared to the LPS. I've played around with changing wires and soldering directly to power supplies and it is an improvement but changing to LPS was an excellent improvement. Both sound and picture. My old Optoma HD21 picture never looked better. At $150 US its very expensive for what it is. In fact you could make it yourself if you had a mind and tools. Parts can be purchased separately.

Robert