IGNORED

How can Vinyl still sound good compared to digital?

STC

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Mostly LP doesn't sound as good as digital, if my experience at audio shows with stratospherically priced playback systems for both is any indication. Nostalgia as far as fiddling isn't an upside for me. Bigger covers are lovely (digital audio player software developers take note with regard to UI) but don't make anything sound better.

But better mastering definitely matters. Still haven't found a digital version that can match my 50 year old LP of Tommy for goose bumps, and that just shouldn't be the case. Same with Steely Dan's Gaucho.

Hi Jud

Are you able to provide information about the actual CDs that are poorly mastered to John Dyson who may have copies of them in his personal collection, and possibly uncover and correct the reasons for their very poor quality.

As a very recent example, John was able to correct with his S/W , a SuperTramp -Crime of the Century" CD where 2 people participating in John's project found that his corrected version then easily outperformed their own copies on Vinyl.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

So the issue is: the best original it is way too dynamic.

Hi Peter

Yes. However, it can sound great on a top notch system in a quiet room, but it is also part of the reason why many prefer slightly compressed versions.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

30 minutes ago, Allan F said:

At RMAF, I have heard a number of vinyl versions of older recordings sound considerably better than their digital versions played on the same high end systems.

Hi Allan

As many others have already noted , a " needle drop" digital copy of a Vinyl recording can sound virtually identical to the original Vinyl recording, so it is clearly a case of poor CD Mastering techniques.

Kind Regards

Alex

50 minutes ago, Jud said:

A CD I can think of that is badly mastered and doesn’t sound as good as the vinyl to me, is Miles Davis’ Amandla.

Hi Jud

It sure does sound dull and lifeless, although there is no apparent clipping. The 24/192 sounds better, but there is something a little suspect looking with the spectrum analysis .

Kind Regards

Alex

Miles Davis-Catembe.jpg

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

(just added this in an attempt to show that I really listen and not to criticise - I think I'd prefer this over all the versions I have)

Hi Peter

With this one, I wasn't a SuperTramp fan, so I just told John that I thought what he had done to correct it was an improvement and asked a couple of my friends who both have this album on Vinyl for comments, and they both agreed that it sounded way better than their copies on vinyl

Regards

Alex

3 minutes ago, STC said:

The only few Aussie audiophiles that I come across seemed to be the ones migrated from my country to there. 

Out of the frying pan , into the fire ? Beautiful Sydney is choking to death.:o