IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I'll admit to being a little fuzzy on the idea of the 'moat' and specifically about 'shorting the moat.'

I have two Paul Hynes SR7t two-rail LPS powering my back end music system. See quick diagram below:

919642984_ScreenShot2021-06-24at9_37.33PM(2).thumb.png.32105ce254cdb301501bd4ed8212bdd5.png

The black squares are my components. The red brackets are the two LPS and the components they power.

Am I shorting the moat?

Michael

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

Just now, LowMidHigh said:

You're fine. To short the moat, the LPS powering the ER should run the device on the B side (the Linn in your case).

Thanks LowMidHigh. Your example is perfect. 

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

32 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I disagree.

The clock goes to B side. The clock cable is a potential source for unwanted loops. 

However, there is no guarantee that adding a extra power (opticalModule)will raise the SQ.

Maybe adding the opticalModule to same SR7T is an option, as the fiber into EtherRegen isolates. 

This is why I get confused :).

You are suggesting I put the Nucleus and the OpticalModule on the same SR7?

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Remember the clock input is on the B side, the power input is on the A side. So powering a clock and a device on the A side from the same supply  shorts the moat. Unless what you are powering on the A side uses fiber to get to the ER.

So powering the ER and the Nucleus from the same supply shorts the moat. Powering the nucleus and the clock from the same supply is fine since they are both on the B side. Powering the ER and the OM from the same supply is fine, they are both on the A side AND there is optical between them.

To make this a little more obvious in your pictures, draw a vertical double line down the middle of the ER, clock connections go on the right(B side) and power connections go on the left(A side). This should make it a little easier to tell what is connected to what.

John S.

Thank you John. That’s a perfect explanation. I had somehow missed that that the clock was on Side B.

I do really appreciate the thought that went into including the external clock connection. Both because it allows for the possibility of better sound quality -and- because it allows people like me to experiment and enjoy geeking out as part of the hobby.

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Has anyone tried to replace the ER feet with other isolation feet and if so did you notice a difference?

I have my ERs sandwiched in between two HRS Nimbus. 

I think it’s worth doing. Like so many things, it’s a small incremental improvement. Adds to a lower noise floor, etc. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Spend that money on the new upcoming EtherRegen version

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Where can I find out more?