IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Hi everyone

I face also some dropouts when using Etherregen in my chain. I tested my network connection without ER and no problem. When I add ER again to the chain, it seems that network issues starts. I use Aurender as a streamer .There is always a handshake problem with Linux based AURENDER streamer which can be very annoying.

Yesterday I turned off -plugged out devices and changed my hifi rack. When everything was in place turning on ER and waiting for  a proper handshake with Aurender was a pain. It took 30 minutes to be able to have a proper network which started with dropouts again after 30-40 minutes. If I search for root cause I can not say it is cable dependent because I can use ER +Aurender combination with same cables without any issue for some months. Whenever I turn off ER for some reason and connect each cable/device again the handshake do not start easily. As I mentioned I try many times (turn off ER,plug out ethernet cables and then plug in in a correct order etc.) to get the proper network connection.  Today in the morning it happened again. How I solved it? I plugged the ethernet cable which comes from WIFI extender directly to Aurender. When Aurender get the IP easily I plugged out the cable and plugged everything to ER again. That worked but there is no magica solution for this. You have to try again and again to have ER -Aurender handshake properly which is not easy. Anyway I am tired with this problem.

58 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I wonder if the cause of my dropouts / intermittent loss of IP address is same as yours (ER and Aurrender handshake)? 
Maybe it’s time to bring the issue to

Aurrender’s tech support and see if they can investigate, seems like I’m now at least not the only one? 

I do not believe you are the only one which faces some issues with Aurender -ER combination. When I wrote to Uptone Audio/Alex about this issue he also mentioned that it can take time for Linux based streamers like Aurender to find the network. That is one issue. When turned off ER and turned it on again you have to find a proper turn-on sequence. First turn on ER then plug the cables then turn on Aurender etc. 

However the dropouts /intermittent playback is another annoying issue. Which cables do you use? I am trying to understand if it is really a cable issue.

18 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

For all of your with Aurender issues with an ER here are a couple things to look into.

I have probably 20 linux based endpoints and don't have this issue, so I don't think it is a general linux issue.

One thing to try is to make sure the entire network system including the ER is powered up and running before turning on the Aurender. The ER takes 3-4 seconds so having it powered up already takes that out of the possibilities.

Every switch you put in the path between router and endpoint increases the DHCP latency. One thing to try with this is to replace the ER with a cheap unmanaged switch. Don't just take the ER out, but REPLACE it with another switch. If the issue is the extra latency of the ER, replacing it with another switch may have the issue. If it does then we have some important information to try and figure out what to do.

John S.

Thank you John for the reply and advise. If I can find another switch,

I will replace ER with this and test the result.

Let's see.

Thank you @Pokey77 for the info. 

I am using Aurender N100H with ER.

My cables are Supra Cat8 (at A side) with Sablon 2020 ethernet cable (at B side).

As I said it is not related with cable. I tried also with other cables. Same issue.

Maybe this problem it is related more with Aurender N100 model but I am not sure.