IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

New to Etherregen and loving it! Three questions that probably have been asked before:

- If I power the ER with a JS-2, do I need to connect the ER to ground using the screw connection? I think JS-2 has lifted ground. 
- If I power the ER with one output of the JS-2, the streamer (SOtM SMS- ultra) and USB filter (SOtM txUSB ultra) with another PSU and the following following Mutec MC3+USB with the other output from JS-2, will I still short the moat on the ER? (i.e. defeat isolation)
- Even if everything runs on different PSU, will all those units not be connected galvanically through clock cables from my Mutec Ref 10 - which clocks each? 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

21 minutes ago, Mihaylov said:

Please, if not difficult, check for galvanic isolation as described here . This will answer your question.

Thanks. Now, I read it through and yes, it basically answers at least my last question question, as now I looked at the REF 10 manual:
"Eight galvanically isolated, individually switchable BNC clock outputs" - so I'm fine there. 

9 hours ago, R1200CL said:

(The JS-2 has lifted ground was my observation)
What makes you think that ?

Because I tested with a multimeter. Touching the ground pin on JS-2 and the ground on the DC output gives no beep on the continuity setting. Whereas, with other power supplies I have at hand, they do. So it means it on the JS-2 ground is lifted, i.e. the ER has to be grounded through the ground screw says the instruction which you quoted yourself. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2022 at 1:32 AM, barrows said:

Honestly, I have not gotten around to it as I am too busy with Sonore stuff, I'll do it someday!  A couple of words on clock "upgrades" and external clocks:

As I have mentioned before on various threads, I am usually very skeptical that adding an external clock will improve performance vs. a decent internal clock.  

Is your skepticism based on experience or purely speculation? I have a MUTEC Ref 10 (square wave) and makes a noticeable difference on each of the 5 devices it's clocking (including an ER), all of which have more than decent internal clocks to start with. But true, good quality clock cable is important and as it pointed out in JW's paper above, it has to be precisely impedance matched and ultra low loss at 10Mhz. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, dbastin said:

ER Side B > ethernet cable (copper) > Mikrotik mAP lite > .. wifi .. > Devialet Pro

I have a feeling that in this set-up, you make the ER useless for two reasons. ER cleans the ethernet signal from electric and also reclocks the signal. Electric noise will not travel though wifi, so it doesn't matter. Secondly, the Mikrotik will reclock the signal again, as any network device in the chain and unless it has a better clock than the ER, it doesn't matter. I'm not even sure if reduced jitter makes any sense when we are talking about wifi. You should do your last suggested method, except that you won't make use of the first ER as I said above: 
ER > copper > mAP1 > ... wifi ... > mAP2 > copper > ER > copper > Devialet
BTW, I also have a Devialet (Expert D800) and I think the wifi is switch off when you program it that way.