IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 11/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, jos said:

I’m a bit unsure about my ER setup. I have on the A-side my NAS, iMac, Apple router & Apple TV connected. The first 3 devices with Supra cat8 and the Apple TV3 with a generic UTP 6a cable. The Apple TV is optical connected to my DAC. I don’t use this device often, just so now and then to watch a movie or photo’s. I assume my Supra cables are ‘shield-tied’, according to the manual. The B-side of the ER is connected with Supra cat8 to my ultraRendu feeding my DAC. But according to the manual this is not a problem. I still have my Netgear GS108 switch at hand.

In this situation: do I potentially introduce undesirable leakage current, or not? If so, what should I do? Thanks for any help!

I don’t have my ER yet, but based on my experience with connecting a WiFi bridge to my ultraRendu, I would try substituting Blue Jeans CAT 6a for the Supra CAT 8 on the B side of the ER. You might be pleased with the improvement in clarity and timbral accuracy.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2020 at 6:35 PM, Jud said:

Currently I have a cable modem connected to a router with Monoprice Cat 8; then the router connected to the ER with Monoprice Cat 6a with plastic connectors to avoid the "upstream" ground link to the ER. 

At some point probably between now and March, in place of the cable modem and router I will install a gateway (combined modem and router) with Wi-Fi 6 capability. https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/cax80.aspx

Are shield-linked metal connectors required to achieve Cat 7 or Cat 8 specifications? Or to ask more specifically, does anyone know of any Cat 7 or Cat 8 cables with plastic connectors, or don't these exist? If they do exist, I might be interested in trying one between the gateway and the ER.

Jud: At the moment, I'm using monoprice CAT 6 (not 6a) with plastic connectors between ER and ultra RENDU. I could not find any monoprice CAT 6a with plastic connectors. Do you know a source? Thanks.

52 minutes ago, Jud said:

Thank you for such a quick response. Looking at this too quickly gave me impression that the plugs had metal jaws. My bad.