IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Don’t have my ER yet, ordered 5 of these to substitute for AQ Vodka & Diamond.

They will replace Vodka’s that go from Verizon ONT to Verizon Router and from Verizon Router to Eero Pro. The Diamond’s go from Pakedge Switch to Sonore Optical Module and from a Cisco Switch to a Mac Mini that runs HQ Player. I have another Mac Mini that I run Roon on, I missed that one. Will have to do a few more. I won’t have my ER until Feb. The question is do I hang on to the AQ cables to do a comparison?

All devices pertaining to my main audio system are now covered...

On 1/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, Jud said:

Mayyybeee, at some point in the future. I liked their Cat 6a, and these are not expensive. So let's see what @BCRich and anyone else who decides to try them might think.

But like you, at this point I'm happy. I posted the link for anyone else who might be curious.

So my pre ER experiment has begun. I started to receive the Monoprice Cat 8 cables across multiple shipments from amazon today. The first swap I decided to employ was replacing the AQ Diamond going from my Pakedge Switch to my Sonore Optical Module. Things definitely got more livelier......I also felt there were more subtle detail’s being resolved. The AQ cable seemed dull and lifeless when I did a comparison.

Things did get a bit edgy here and there, hoping some burn in will take care of that.

The next thing I did was replace a generic cable and a AQ Diamond cable both of which also fed 2 Mac Mini’s via a Pakedge Switch; one for my Roon Core (Server) and the more powerful one for HQ Player functionality. This had more of an impact on the overall soundstage and presentation. I’ve yet to replace the Verizon ONT/Modem/Eero feed’s as of yet. I also plan on running CAT8 from my Cisco Switch to both Pakedge Switches as well. I should have plenty of burn in on these cables by the time I receive my etherRegen. Already thinking about a second ER but at the same time it might be nice to swap out the MacMini’s with a i9 Sonic Transporter.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

It was easy to confirm that the Planet Technology SFP was a better choice than the Startech SFP in the ER.  The latter does harm that wasn’t evident previously.  I still remain surprised that this was so easy to hear.  I can now see why Emile reacted the way he did. 

Here’s the link to the SFP:  https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/.  

Hi Kenny,

Did you need to use attenuators with these? I am presently using a Sonore OM with my Optical Rendu. Due to receive my EtherRegen this month, can’t wait.

Thanks.....Mike

another question....Single Mode or Multi Mode, what fiber are you using? Where can one purchase the Corning Clear Glass Fiber?