IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

8 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I should say that for the record, I'm really really uncomfortable so clearly hearing differences between ethernet cables....this way (even more) madness dwells.

The other crazy thing is that I found that ethernet cables can take a very long time to burn in... With Supra cat8 they seem to take 2 weeks until they reach a consistent sound where you can judge them properly... I know that sounds crazy 🤯... But it's true... I burnt in three Supra cat8 cables at separate times and each time it took 2 weeks.

5 hours ago, RickyV said:

I already had the parts and with my new ER I got renewed inspiration to built a new Ethernet cable. My previous and the new cable both use Supra cat8 cable as a base. I have seen the ET^2 cable and I have the lush^2 so why not make my own.

So at the heart of the cable is the Supra cat8 and over that go two layers of braided tinned copper shields separated by electrical tape. Every shield has it own connecting wire ( white, yellow and red). White being the shield of the supra cable.

On one side, the ER side, I also made a black wire to possibly connect to the ER ground screw and is also connected to the metal connector. 

I have not experimented yet so it’s on A:wyr B:wyr.

52A6C36F-6A6C-4191-8625-72A83DCAC988.thumb.jpeg.a2c9255ab63d80062462549e8ed2f373.jpeg

Oh it took me about 5 hours make.

Very nice work 👍

Are they the telegartner connectors? Are they an audible improvement over the standard Supra ones? I am thinking of trying the telegartner connectors on my jssg360 x 2 Supra cat 8 cable...

IMG_20191013_173640.thumb.jpg.7377f87e49977f862e695d1d138150e2.jpg

Once I get my ER I'm thinking of shortening this cable and putting the telegartner connectors on it....

I'll be interested to know how your new cable is sounding once it's settled in 👍

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

I concur, with only 24 hours burn-in the two Cable Matters CAT 8s are the best ethernet cables heard here and a nice step up from the Tera Grand.

G'day Larry

Seems like your cable matters cat 8 has turned out to be a good find 👍

I'm interested to know how it compares to the Supra cat8.

I think that the Supra cat8's strong points are good layering of the sound stage and a nice natural tone, however I'm aware that versus some other cables it can come off sounding a bit dull... And the Supra cat8 doesn't have a particularly focused image versus something like Audioquest Pearl.... However, I like the layering and the natural tone... But I'm well aware of it's short comings.

Does the cable matters cat8 have good layering? Does it have a more focused image?

Maybe I'll just have to order some to find out... But down here in Australia I won't receive it until early January 🤣

3 hours ago, cat6man said:

cablematters does not have a cat8 cable beyond 5m (i checked with them).

can anyone recommend a company/brand where i can get a good 12m or 15m cat8 cable?

is there a specific reason folks have be looking at cablematters versus other vendors?

You can get a Supra cat8 at future shop in various lengths.... I got a 10 meter one from them several years ago. 

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

It so happens that I got my second Cable Matters Cat8 1m cable this evening, so I was able to do a comparison against my first cable (~100 hours of music play on the first cable...I've had it running continuously since the weekend in anticipation of testing to see if burn in does anything with this cable)

There is a clear difference with the cable with hours on it (please don't ask me how or why, I'm still having a hard time admitting to any difference between ethernet cables), with more of the bass impact and precision/detail and sense of space that I was hearing as I went through the various cable tests (the effect is particularly striking with full range orchestral pieces...the lower registers and music hall really are coming into clearer and clearer relief).  That being said, I was hearing a more significant difference between cables of different types, but I'm surprised to hear any impact from burn in at all.

That being said, I wouldn't characterize it as a significant difference.  If you don't care for the Cable Matters vs your Slimrun, I'm not sure if the delta I'm hearing would be enough to tilt a clear preference for a different cable.

Anyway, time to ingest some mushrooms and sacrifice some poor creature to the audio gods and hope a rationale comes to me in a vision (my EE degrees certainly aren't any help in understanding what is going on here).

My experience burning in Supra cat8 and other various ethernet cables is very similar and I agree with everything you've said.... except for the mushroom bit 🤣

Indeed there seems to be more difference between cables than between the same cable burnt in and not...