IGNORED

Basic Ripping Information

bjast

New to this forum, and appreciate all the helpful information.

I have some basic questions about 'ripping' using a Mac and a ReadyNAS Duo:

1. What is the difference between ripping to AIFF using iTunes, and simply dragging the AIFF files to the ReadyNAS Duo's hard drive using the Finder?

2. What is the difference between ripping to AIFF using iTunes and ripping to AIFF using XLD Lossless, or Max?

I'm certain I must be missing something when I read all of the threads about getting the perfect rip settings.

Be nice, I'm new at this.

Thanks

1. Dragging the file directly to the hard drive means it won't be entered in the iTunes database, so iTunes won't know it's there (and you won't be able to play it).

2. This is question on which people have a lot of comments. I'm in the camp which says that iTunes, when used with error correction turned on, is perfectly acceptable. Others would disagree. You might want to rip a couple of tracks under various programs to see if you can hear a difference. (But error correction is your friend.)

Thanks your comments, Akapod. Since I'm am using a Squeezebox Transporter to play these files from the ReadyNAS, I'm not particularly concerned about iTunes viewing them. But I do want the best audio quality available. At your suggestion I have turned on Audio Correction in iTunes - never noticed that before. But unless there is 'sound evidence' - pardon the pun - that the discernible audio quality is better using programs like XLD & Max, it so much easier simply to drag the AIFF files to the ReadyNAS in the Finder.

Hi bjast - In the long run I think you'll be very sorry if you don't rip the music using a proper ripping application. Dragging the files from a disc to a disk doesn't embedd any metadata like album, artist, cover art, etc... Plus, you have no way to check the accuracy of the copy or tell finder to use interpolation etc...

You should also look down the road further than the Squeezebox Transporter. You will not be using this component forever. Without properly ripped and tagged files you are in for real trouble with other, possibly much better, solutions.

Hope this helps :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

With a few of my tracks I have noticed distortion - particularly with intense portions of, say, choral music or intense piano moments. I am surprise that recording engineers would allow this to take place, let alone reproduce this on a CD.

All of this got me wondering if there is a way to counteract from this using more sophisticated audio ripping/correcting software? Is there any definitive information about this?

Thanks

Hi Chris and thanks for your insights.

Can you help me know what you mean when you say:

"you have no way to check the accuracy of the copy or tell finder to use interpolation"

1. How might the accuracy of the copy affect audio quality?

2. What exactly is "interpolation"?

I may be new to this, but I'm not afraid of technical detail.

I've been digging into your extensive article about ripping music. Very informative. I'm interested in using dBPoweramp, but unfortunately I have a MacBook Pro. Do you have any idea how well dBPoweramp runs using Parallels for the Mac?