IGNORED

New McIntosh DA2 Digital Module Available

On 1/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, madfonzy said:

My firmware version is 4.013

Mine is 4.04 and I have to ship the unit for the upgrade. I can play DSD with Windows pc (Mcintosh ASIO drivers installed) , but can't with SMS200 (linux) or MAC Os in DoP. With my firmware DoP simply dosn't works. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, madfonzy said:

The DA2 would not play DSD natively and played it as PCM instead.

What do you mean by PCM instead? 
Did you see in the display 88.2 / 176.4 / 352.8 ?
Because in this case the DA2 is playing DSD file correctly in DoP mode, encapsulating the DSD signal into a PCM container.

The issue I have with 4.04 firmware is that I can see 176.4 in the display but can't hear any sound. This should be solved by the firmware update to 4.013.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, AudioDoctor said:

What rate are you upsampling to? Can you send audio that's not been upsampled?

I have the issue even with a native DSD64 file, without any upsampling. Now I'm doing some test with JRiver on my Mac laptop. But I think the problem is the firmware and the solution is to ship the unit to the service point.

15 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

For me the C2700 firmware is 4.04 and DA2 is 4.013.

Latest C2700 firmware is 1.04, could you please check that isn't a typing error?

So you confirm that DA2 firmware 4.013 play DSD DoP files and show DSDxxx on the display, right?

Thanks a lot, your comment was very valuable for me.

Regards,

Giuseppe 

28 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

For reference before the update I had C2700 - 1.02 and DA2 - 4.03.  Not sure why the DA2 firmware version number went lower.

I think Mcintosh should have called 4.13 not 4.013, but it's clear that 4.013 comes out after 4.04
I find DA2 to be of a very good DAC; as good as my Benchmark DAC3B, that I have sold after the comparision.
Can you please comment on the difference between DA2 and Holo May KTE DAC? Now that both are supporting DSD 🙂

29 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Great concept but poor execution. ASR confirmed the power supply section wasn't as isolated form mains power as marketed...

This design no longer exists in current lineup.

The promise is real. DA2 module is already available as an optional upgrade for MA9000, MA8900, MA7200, MA5300, MAC7200, C49 (with DA1 installed). Mcintosh (as industry size) looks not comparable to Vinnie Rossi, I say this with respect. 

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

This is the puzzle, at least from a marketing perspective.  Why is McIntosh's only DAC clearly a couple of performance rungs below the heart of its line?  I

DA2 is an internal DAC, not suppose to replace high-end source.

As I said before, it has similar performance thant the Benchmark DAC3B (which is sold for 1700$) but supports more hires formats  like DXD and DSD512. The DA2 also accepts DSD stream from SACD transport like MCT80. 

If you whant a source that is on pair with the rest of the system look at the MCD-600 or D-1100

23 minutes ago, InVinoVeritasty said:

Any reason to update? 

Ciao Mark,
I don't think the 1.03 VS 1.04 make any difference, but the DA2 V4.03 is affected by some issues of decoding DSD files in DoP format with Mac OS or linux. All is working fine with PC and ASIO.
Unfortunatelly the only way to update is to send the unit back to a service center. Mine will leave on Monday.
If you are not interested in DSD decoding no reason to worry about. 

Be well,

Giuseppe

• 2 weeks later...