IGNORED

xlr to rca, how to get rid of noise from usb?

Kimo

Question

On occasion, I like to run a fully balanced DAC/preamp with no rca anlaog connections into a tube amp with only rca connections.  I purchased xlr adapters and connect those to my DAC/preamp to run a single ended cable to my tube amp.  I have also tried dedicated xlr to rca cables.  All is well, if not ideal with one exception.  When I connect the Innuos server via USB cable to the DAC, I end up with lots of steady high pitched noise.  Disconnect the USB cable from the DAC, noise is gone.  

I have tried moving plugs around on the power strip, disconnecting the server and blu ray player from the internet, disconnecting the phono stage, and the blu ray player from the system, but the only move that makes a difference is disconnecting the USB cable.  I would like to actually use the server with the tube amp, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  When the fully balanced solid state amp is connected, I have no noise on any input.  Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Kimo said:

On occasion, I like to run a fully balanced DAC/preamp with no rca anlaog connections into a tube amp with only rca connections.  I purchased xlr adapters and connect those to my DAC/preamp to run a single ended cable to my tube amp.  I have also tried dedicated xlr to rca cables.  All is well, if not ideal with one exception.  When I connect the Innuos server via USB cable to the DAC, I end up with lots of steady high pitched noise.  Disconnect the USB cable from the DAC, noise is gone.  

I have tried moving plugs around on the power strip, disconnecting the server and blu ray player from the internet, disconnecting the phono stage, and the blu ray player from the system, but the only move that makes a difference is disconnecting the USB cable.  I would like to actually use the server with the tube amp, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  When the fully balanced solid state amp is connected, I have no noise on any input.  Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a ground issue. Instead of your XLR to RCA cable, you could try XLR cables and a pair of these.

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1584_x.pdf

These are transformers that will combine both of the legs of the outgoing balanced signal and also lift the ground.

XLR to RCA cables are notorious for causing ground loops.

36 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Sounds like a ground issue. Instead of your XLR to RCA cable, you could try XLR cables and a pair of these.

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1584_x.pdf

These are transformers that will combine both of the legs of the outgoing balanced signal and also lift the ground.

XLR to RCA cables are notorious for causing ground loops.

So the cables may only be causing a ground loop issue with the server, and not the BR player, or the phono stage, which are also plugged into the DAC?  If that is so, then there is a USB only device called the IFI Defender that purports to break ground loops on USB connections.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender3-0/