IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I apologize if this has been shared and discussed. There is a short paper on the the effectiveness (or the lack there of) of the JSSG 360 type cables on Audio Science Review. It seems to me that it only makes sense if the connecting cable is very short and doesn't run along the cable itself. In fact that makes sense as explained and measured. I don't argue for or against these measurements but found it interesting. I'm just trying to figure out how I should terminate my LAN cables, shield connected to RJ45 plugs, not connected or just connected one end. Or strip the shield braid and foil altogether. Or the non of these will make any difference if the cable and plugs are the same. Btw, I'm not a fan of ASR as they some of the measurements seem to be pointless. Maybe this one is also flawed??

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

14 hours ago, Roasty said:

I've had the EtherRegen for quite some time now, and enjoy it a lot. recently, it has been giving me some issues. 

my chain is:

Sotm switch

fiber

ER (with AD clock) 

ethernet

sotm sMS-200Ultra

I've been running this chain for several months with no problems. however, over the course of the past couple of weeks, my dac no longer "sees" the Sotm and hqplayer also does not see the naa output for this chain.

ive troubleshooted a couple of times, and have found that if I just power cycle the ER, all is good again. power cycle as in just remove the dc plug, wait a short while and reinsert the dc plug. then everything goes back to normal. 

Any ideas? 

I have a very similar set-up (SMS-200 ultra, hqplayer, external clock) Have had similar issues. For me the solution was to use ethernet cables that don't create a galvanic connection between devices connected to the ER (or other similarly structured switches) AND connecting the server directly to side A of the ER and not using any extra switch in between. 

• 3 months later...

Perhaps @Superdad can help me understand a galvanic isolation question. I run the ER from its own power supply where the signal ground and AC earth are connected. Then the ER is followed by SOtM SMS200 ultra on JS-2 (lifted ground) to Denafrips GAIA (signal and chassis ground separate) to Devialet Expert where the signal ground is connected to the chassis/earth. So with a continuity/multimeter, I get a "beep" when I connect the RCA or AES/EBU ground to the ER's ground on the DC input (or the ground screw). Of course, they are connected through the power strip ground. It would not matter if I used a different wall outlet as I have only one earth cable running in the house. 
So the question is, does it defeat the galvanic isolation of the ER? If it does, I might as well use the JS-2 to also power the ER... 

• 1 month later...