IGNORED

Spatial M3 and M5 Sapphire speakers

I ordered the M5s for a trial the other day.  

What the heck, I figure. Ill be out the shipping if they don’t knock it out of ballpark in my small 11 by 13 dedicated listening room.  Clayton says they will. Time, probably two weeks to delivery, will tell.

Am looking forward to my first OB experience.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One week in.

They are a dominating presence size-wise in a 12 by 12 space, which is fine if it’s your dedicated listening room. They are quite beautiful and the build quality is top notch.  They are, finally, 75lbs each, which is why they arrive via freight and on a pallet.

But how do they sound?  At first, not so great.  But the owner of Spatial and Spatial customers strongly recommend 1-2 hundred hours before taking serious measure of their performance.  I’m at about 100 hrs and they are, indeed, coming to life.  Still too early to say for sure if they are keepers.  I will return them if I don’t like the sound (and eat the freight.) But I think I’m just starting to hear what people rave about.  

One plus: they are so revealing of details and dynamics that I can happily listen in my small room at much lower volumes.  Which is good for my hearing in the long run. And the cliche that I’m hearing things for the first time is true in this case.  I may be on my way to speaker happiness in this small room.

Sorry I can’t help you with the Magnepan comparison . . . 

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I’ve had to travel for a few weeks and am behind on my critical listening.  Will try to report back when I have a better sense if things, but keep in mind I’m not the kind of audiophile who has gone through 20 sets of speakers and amp combos, can tell you how speaker wire x sounds, etc.  Not even sure my vocabulary is up to snuff for this crowd.  So my feedback would be of limited value.  If you are interested in Spatial, I do suggest calling Clayton Shaw.  He’s a gem and a straight shooter in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...