IGNORED

Server and endpoint, or dual cpu server?

On 11/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, Gavin1977 said:

Shame Epyc processors have such high TDP, I have looked at AMDs new Embedded V1605B - but it's just a single die.  So no opportunity for Numa / dual CPU style optimisations there.  An Epyc system would be reliant on a HDPlex or Paul Hynes SR7 to satisfy these levels of power consumption - I'd like to keep within a lower power budget.

There's not much point in making NUMA system with small CPUs, because the overhead would be still there but you wouldn't get benefits. When you have enough processors to starve single socket memory channels, you need to add more memory channels by using NUMA. Another, more efficient alternative is to do like GPUs do, where they just scale the memory bus width to 512 bits and up. So you don't get overhead cost of NUMA, but you get NUMA worth of memory bandwidth.

Biggest GPUs use 4096-bit wide memory bus with HBM2 memory.

So instead of using two sockets, I've been opting to use CPU + GPU. Which is another kind of NUMA architecture, both having their own RAM but the interconnect between the two mapped memory regions is 16x PCIe. Plus depending on case, a separate network endpoint.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

52 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

You've opened up another can of worms 🙂 Shame GPU cannot be used as a USB endpoint as well (HDMI I2S perhaps though).

There wouldn't be any point in using GPU as USB endpoint. I2S shouldn't be used to connect devices at all, it is only for chip-to-chip interconnect.

53 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

You've got me thinking about PICMG 1.3 / SHB Express combinations to interconnect two computers.  Anyone have experience with this?

I fail to see point of that, it would be same as having two computers on the same motherboard.

I much rather use Ethernet.

56 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

I tried to set up a linux virtual PC (using Hyper-V and also Virtual box) and tried to get it to boot from my copy of Euphony on USB (because Euphony needs a dedicated hard drive), but no luck getting this configuration to work at the moment the virtual pc won't boot.

Using virtual machine for audio is extremely bad idea because of the overheads you just have massively increased latencies, etc.

If you want two machines, you are much better off with two real machines.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers