IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Well that was interesting.  Several days in now and was thinking that, in addition to the benefits I listed before about improved leading edge definition, etc., that there was an added high-frequency lift relative to a standard D-Link switch.  However, with a bit more experimentation then it turned out that I can now hear a very clear difference between using HQP from a Mac Mini vs. using Roon Server + HQP on the same box.  Using Roon to feed HQP vs. HQP on its own flattened out the soundstage depth and lost some timbral accuracy.  It delivered a more energetic presentation, but ultimately one that I judged to be too forward relative to HQP on its own.  Bummer.  Roon is a much better front end that the HQP client provides, and is far more intuitive to use.  Plus, it of course gives access to Tidal, radio stations, etc.  Guess I'll have to switch back and forth depending upon priorities, but the real insight here is that adding ER into the mix means anything upstream of the device is now laid bare!