IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

13 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Then use software which does show it ?

One has to use Tidal’s software to access Tidal files. Also, if one uses an AudioQuest DragonFly, all it does is glow purple when it detects an MQA file. Still no indication of bit depth or sample rate.

George

6 hours ago, daverich4 said:

That isn’t true, Roon in particular tells you what’s happening with Tidal MQA files. I don’t have an MQA capable DAC (nor will I) so I only get the first unfold. 

710C2DEF-3FDF-45A6-806E-F90A431A59F1.png

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know that. But it doesn’t really matter to me. Roon is eye-wateringly expensive (AFAIC) and I would never pay that much money for it. I also do not have an MQA capable DAC (except my DragonFly Cobalt - which is not connected to my main system) so I also only get the first unfold. 

George

16 hours ago, PeterSt said:

George, I don't understand. Why would that be ? Quite some people use Roon. Or Audirvana. Or mine. And more.

I know from Roon that it doesn't show all there is (it always upsamples as to current MQA standards) and about the others I don't know really. But mine (XXHighEnd) really shows all there is to it, which is to all the detail you seem to like to have.

Btw, MQA will never be 16 bits for the Tidal files - always 24 (which does not tell really about the useful bits which could be 17-16 only).

I think it is crucial that the native (projected) data of the album is shown, like I do it by this means :

image.png.4936fb46127beb4591af6ee2e102efda.png  image.png.2f1ea7bbee650be3294c56fc164c5b67.png

image.png.96e3ef077b3da35ab6084cdf5ded7001.png

What remains is the knowledge that this 192 is never for real in the file.

image.png.8d2f305f10a50892fba000b2e7408453.png

And that these exist just the same. These *are* MQA'ed but are still 44.1 (though 24 bits, most probably not containing more that 16 bits for real (volume) level data).

Looks like your XXHighEnd software is Win-Blows only, no Mac version (any plans?) and I hate Win and won’t use it. Too bad.

George

56 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Roon is $119 a year or half of what you’re paying for Tidal. And they just came out with V1.7 with a number of new features. 

I’d still have to pay for a subscription to Tidal. And I’d buy Roon for $119, but I won’t rent it for that kind of money.

George