IGNORED

ethernet bridge with Mac Mini ??

I've spent a few hours digging through the threads here as well as other sites and can't find an answer. I keep reading about bridging my computer to my ethernet DAC but can't find how to do it. If I understand it means my computer hooks up directly to my DAC, no switch in between. I did find a few links in threads were but they were dead. I did see a thread that has over 600 pages that says in several places "this has been covered in this thread" but can't find it. So not for lack of trying on my part, but please... how is it done?

UPDATE  I did find below. It talks about opening System Preferences > Network > Managing Virtual  Interfaces but this is not correct. There is no option in Network for Managing Virtual  Interfaces. After  much search I found out you have to click the little wheel in the Network window to find it. Maybe obvious to whoever posted but not to me. 

So.. if I get a Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter can I bridge to it and get what I want using the instructions below? i.e. hook my Mini to my home network via the ethernet port and hook the DAC to the Thunderbolt ethernet port?

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 8.20.28 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 8.21.19 AM.jpg

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

Romaz answered to Superdad with exact instructions how to do it (your message bottom) just follow it. You would have two ethernet cables attached to mini, one to DAC (from ethernet port) and other to LAN (from one of USB or thunderbolt port through adapter). Then in Network settings you need to create virtual bridge in accordance to Romaz instructions. It is simple once you tried it once. Other wisely you can connect your mini ethernet port to switch, and from switch to DAC with another cable. Both types of connection works in my set between mac mini and endpoint NUC.

Thank you, I will get a USB to Ethernet and try it. My Mac Mini does not have the USB C style thunderbolt connector I see on all of the TB to Ethernet adapters I can find

one minor point that threw me off, they are not " exact instructions" since you don't go direct from Network to Manage Virtual Interfaces. You have to click the little wheel in the lower left of the window. I know just enough to be dangerous so simple things like that stump me.

Thanks again

Nothing complicated, really. Good luck! Feel free to ask if it will not work out for you. BTW, direct ethernet connection between mini and ethernet port of your DAC may give the best sound, but it wouldn't be better way to manage if you need access from LAN to each of components. You may want to check whether direct connection gives a sound, and if you'll like what you hear you will need to be sure bridged setup doesn't sound worse. Ethernet cables are important as well. Some people strongly insist cables must be of U/UTP type, without shielding and foil screen. At least, connectors must be plastic without metal cover. In my setting - mac mini to NUC plain cables without screen/shield sound different from shielded/screened type, you may compare and decide what works better for you.

thanks to all including the folks who initially posted about this.. all is working now.. Router - TCXO switch - Mac Mini USB to Ethernet adapter -Mini running Roon - Mini ethernet to Directstream DAC

I gave the DS a static IP address as suggested by somebody

One of the touted features of the DS DAC is it's supposed immunity to whatever input is used since it upsamples everything to 20X DSD and processes from there. Initial impression is differences if any are very subtle. I'm to the point in this journey that I have no patience for extensive A-B comparisons. I don't have the patience to go back and forth multiple times to try and detect a difference. Since ethernet input can process MQA I'll stick with that.