IGNORED

Newbie question on music storage

9 hours ago, HDMan72 said:

I'm currently running a mid-2011 iMac which has a 500GB HDD, all my music is stored here. I'm looking into a new Mac Book Air or Pro which would have a 256GB SSD, my total music library is roughly 180GB mostly in ALAC. What would be the best option to store music if I did not want to use the SSD in the laptop? I'm not familiar with NAS or iCloud storage solutions such as WD My Cloud Home HDD. I use Sonos throughout my house and Bluesound in my dedicated 2ch listening room. I may also get back into Roon which I hear runs great as a boot drive. Just want to get some ideas where if I could I can start right now before upgrading my iMac. Thanks

You may want to consider turnkey music server from Small Green Computer https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server Those no-brainer solutions come with built-in support for Sonos and Roon, and within Roon there's support for Bluesound and Sonos endpoints as I'm sure you know. I have the lowest-cost server on that list, the microJukebox, but I only run LMS. Basic Roon features will run on the microJukebox, but most Roon users would go for one of the more powerful choices I'm sure.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

11 minutes ago, HDMan72 said:

@DuckTollerand @skikirkwood, thanks for clarifying the usage of Raspberry Pi. Still, it looks like it will take a lot of time setting that up with all the different configurations. I'm not to comfortable with that. The NAS systems seem a lot easier for someone like me. 

The systems I suggested would be even easier. I really like mine. Hope you're looking at those right now.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.