IGNORED

BLUESOUND NODE 2i Amazon HD

Have I got this right?  

Proposed Amazon HD / Bluesound Node 2i system:

I can connect the Node 2i to my amplifier.  I will receive WIRELESS HD music on my existing WIFI?

Thanks.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Yes. I have the Node 2i and I’m streaming Tidal, Quboz, and also Amazon HD. Do note though, Amazon HD is brand new, and while it plays just fine on the Node through the existing Amazon Music app on BluOS, the app will need upgrading in order to fully appreciate Amazon HD. Currently, you won’t know what the album resolution is until you actually start to play it. I’m pretty sure that BluOS will get updated so that albums from Amazon show up the same way that Tidal and Quboz do, that is, thumbnails of album covers with icons to denote what the resolution is.

HD audio over wireless should work, but not guaranteed to be stable with content 24bit 96khz and above. Especially when the wifi is being shared with the rest of your home network. My Nodei is connected by Ethernet for this reason.

And crn3371 is absolutly right the Amazon interface for the Node 2i is terrible. What they should so is what Spotify is doing and use the Spotify app to direct stream from the Node 2i.

Received Node 2i (N2i) as scheduled. 
First observation:  Powercord and interconnect cables are what you would expect - low cost and in need of replacement.   No surprise, will upgrade soon.

Set up was easy.  I downloaded the Bluesound app onto my iPad (an older iPad AIR)

after connecting the N2i to my amp and powering it up I followed the instructions.  Connection to my WiFi net was also trouble free.  I then selected Amazon Music from the list of services displayed on the app and, after a bit of familiarization, I was enjoying Sonny Rollins.

As many have noted the Bluesound interface needs work. But as long as it is stable and the music sounds good, I will be happy.

Next report will summarize my adventures in Amazon HD over WiFi!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

After a few hours of streaming with Amazon HD over WiFi I have to agree with @crn3371 Supra.  I do not see an icon or other indication confirming the resolution of the music files I am streaming.  

so far the system is stable.   I did have one crash but the error was not duplicated.

more later.

When you see a CD icon, the stream is lossless 16/44.1 , when you see a HR icon the stream is lossless 24/44.1 or higher. If you see no icon, then the stream is MP3 or some lossy format.

Screenshot_2019-09-27-14-39-56.png

Lossless 16/44.1

Screenshot_2019-09-27-14-37-52.png

Lossless 24/44.1 or greater

Screenshot_2019-09-27-14-39-11.png

What you don't want to see is this. A lossy stream

The way to see the exact resolution is through the Amazon Music desktop or Android App.

Signing up for the HD service is easy. As of now, the only way you’ll know what resolution the album is is to actually start playing it, the resolution icon will then show up in the now playing box. I haven’t found any way, yet, to search by resolution, or to at least see the resolution as I’m browsing albums. If this doesn’t change I won’t be going past my free trial of Amazon HD.

With many thanks to  @crn3371 and @Leroy Bad,  I now have Amazon HR running on the N2i.

My issues were mostly caused by my own ignorance of the Bluesound and Amazon Music swamp.   

I am now testing system stability. 

Sound quality (SQ) is satisfactory given the stock power cord and cables.   if my WiFi and N2i remain stable, I will modestly upgrade the wires.

Quick update, so far the N2i (WiFi) is stable.  SQ is acceptable.  Blue OS is not very good, but it is functional.  All the complaints listed above and on other sites concerning Blue OS are true.  Maybe we will get a major upgrade someday. Hope springs eternal.