IGNORED

foobar2000 to Airport Express via UPnP

Hi All,

I came across the recent article on using jriver with an airport express via UPnP.

I had been using foobar2000 with airfoil, which worked OK but tended to be somewhat glitchy and unreliable. No amount of tweaking my network, audio or foobar2000 settings seemed to get it perfect. I thought I'd give this approach a shot and it seems to be working brilliantly.

I installed the Air UPnP service and also the foo_upnp plug-in. Started things up, put the uPnP controller into my default layout for easy access, and that was about it.

The basic setup is a Sony VAIO notebook running Windows 7, streaming to multiple airport express units. My primary AE is connected to a Hot Audio DAC and some M-Audio powered speakers.

Regards,

Anthony

• 5 months later...

Hi to everybody.

I've the problem concerning frequently disconnections with Foobar via UPnP to AE. I've followed this post and also that regarding J.River via UPnP.

With Airfoil there is other problems with Foobar. It's impossible to change track or also to stop the music without obteining a noise "loop" of the music. You must close the programs and restart.

With Foobar and UPnP I've frequently disconnections.

Any suggestions to optimize the wireless connection with Foobar and AE ??

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay... it seems ANYthing to do with setting up a wireless music server is WAY above my head, 'cause everything to do with it is frustrating as all hell. Anyways, after much previously mentioned frustration, I can play iTunes to Airport Express wirelessly. Whoopdi-doo. Now on to new frustrations...

After reading this post, and that at illustrate/dbPowerAmp site...

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?19645-Air-UPnP-%28control-Airport-Express-as-UPnP-devices%29

... i feel like pulling out my hair, nearly. And hell, I'm a pretty computer-tech savvy sort! All I wish to do is play Foobar on either my desktop or my laptop, and have it shoot wirelessly over to my Airport Express, which is connected to my stereo. I don't have iPhone or any other remote control device... i don't want to access Foobar from afar... i just want to play Foobar directly, and from there have it end up on the AE.

I have:

1. a computer

2. Foobar

3. Airport Express (AE)

4. Airport UPnP installed on the computer

5. foo_upnp.dll dropped into the Components folder of Foobar

6. Avast AntiVirus and Windows 7 Firewall protecting my computer

7. Windows Firewall - Adv Settings - Outbound Rules - New Settings... i made TCP and UDP Port rules allowing outgoing access through port 26126 (as mentioned in the above link by Illustrate/dbPowerAmp), as well as another rule allowing upnp.exe outbound access.

Okay... so, what's this about PlugPlayer - is this something additional I need... or is this for some kinky 3-way access between computer (w/Foobar), iPhone, and AE?

I run Foobar-View-UPnP Controller... i can see "Main: dbPowerAmp Rennaicance" as a selectable device. I select it. Great. Now what? And why is the UPnP Controller have Player controls... I want to use Foobar to play and control audio! Maybe I'm CRAZY, but I envision dbPowerAmp (upnp.exe) running invisibly in the background, all knowing - all seeing, able to detect my Airport Express... then I run Foobar, selecting 'dbPowerAmp' as output, go to whatever playlist/songs I wish to hear, hit play, the music flies to my Airport Express and POW, I hear it on my stereo. No? What am I missing here?

(sigh) Sorry if I seem a little flustered, but hours have been wasted!

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ;)