IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

My signature has arrived today along with a shanti. I am hearing some light pops over music (using HQ Player upscaling to DSD 256, as I did with the vanilla USBridge). I have dietpi on there right now but I was wondering whether I should try Ropieee or possible a Signalyst NAA driver. Any thoughts? Also, any ideas on the pops?

20 minutes ago, allo.com said:

Hi

Tech support is off until Monday , but from what I remember Mytek is not DSD native. You will need to download an image with 4.14 kernel and it will fix your issue

Thanks - the DAC will do up to DSD 256 in theory. I have already downloaded and using DietPi_v6.18_41492_RPi-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI which I think has the 4.14 kernel.

I will wait to see what the tech support comes back with. Thank you for your help.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, randytsuch said:

see post 913 here

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-92.html#post5963277

Its what I did, helped another guy too.  The other guy said it was the config.sys changes that fixed it for him.

I'd be curious if it makes a difference for you.

Hi @randytsuch - Can I ask what DAC you were using, and can you confirm you were you using HQ Player?

I am just doing some tests answering some queries from Allo. I was using HQ player, however once disabling it as an endpoint and enabling straight Roon, I am not sure I could hear pops/crackles, even if I upscale to DSD 256. I am not sure what that means yet, is it an issue with the NAA provided on Dietpi?? I want HQ Player to work, as I also use it for room correction.

I haven't actually done the suggestion in post 913 yet, as I am waiting to see where Allo go first.

6 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I'm using hqplayer

As allo said, its pretty much a diy dac based on boards that ian canada at diyaudio sells.  I'm using the diyinhk usb converter

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/156-xmos-dsd-dxd-768khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

based on the xmos chip, so that's likely what matters here.

Thanks for coming back. I have a Mytek Liberty DAC and I think this may have an xmos chip. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be a problem with the same kit directly using Roon, even when upscaling to 256.

• 2 months later...

I have been using by USBridge Sig and Shanti to power a Mytek Liberty DAC and had a few issues with pops and crackles, I minimised this by using an earlier kernel as advised by Allo. Anyway, now I have just purchased a Topping D90 balanced DAC which has a different chip in it. I therefore upgraded Dietpi to the latest version, 6.28.0. I need to have the NAA running as I use HQ Player, and I don't think there is other software that supports it on the Sig. The CPU govenor is 'OnDemand' at the moment.

I have had a few listening sessions and it sounds good, however I think I might still be able to hear the odd pop and crackle but its hard to be sure.

Is there anything else I can do to minimuse pops/crackles?

15 hours ago, Mycenius said:

Yes 🙂

Thank you. I have set the Streamer to 'Performance'. I will see how I get on.

I did see somewhere, although I cannot find it now, that this 'Performance' setting sets the clock rate to 600mHz, and I also remember seeing someone saying they had manually set their processor speed to 700mHz, presumably not in the GUI though. Does the performance setting do this?

I know I need ot listen more before but is this something else to consider, if still geting pop's and crackles occasionally?

13 hours ago, randytsuch said:

You can try this software

gentooplayer

Link takes you to end of thread.

In the last 5-10 pages, there is discussion of using this sw and eliminating the pops from usbridge sig

I was able to get dietpi to be pop free, but I like gentooplayer better.

Thank you, I will have a read. I need to listen a bit more with Dietpi, as I just changed to the 'performance' setting. I think you originally recommeded manually setting your CPU, speed, was that right? Did you take any other action in terms of getting dietpi pop free?

I will read up a bit of gentooplayer, I need to see if it does NAA, as I do use HQ Player.

27 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

Yes, I manually set CPU speed in dietpi and got rid of pops.

I use hqp4, I'm only getting pops at 256.  Gentooplayer supports naa as well as other players.

What speed did you set the CPU to?

I also use HQ player4 desktop, and I am currently trying DSD 512. I have only listened a bit though with it set to performance, although I think I heard at least one pop, although its difficult to be sure. I have downloaded Gentooplayer now.

35 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

You might want to try the 7ec or 5ec mods at dsd256.  Takes a high end PC, I7 or I9 at high clock speed.

I never run 512 myself, current processors can't do 512 with the ec mod

They are on my list to try. Right now, I am running AMSDM7+512 and it runs fairly well. As you say, my overlcocked (5ghz) i7 9700 was no match for 7ec at DSD512.

37 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

and thanks for this!

I think my plan of attack is, listen for pops. If hear some, adjust the CPU freq. If that does not work, then GenToo. When I get a bit more time, I will try it anyway. I did a quick hours listening earlier and not heard a pop yet. I am sat with the Gentooplayer loaded memory card next to me.

I did some listening last night and getting pops and crackles, I am not sure why it seems more prevalent right now.

I have also tried increasing the speed of the PCU using @randytsuch's approach - see screenshots. But still pops and crackles, although maybe a bit better. I guess its time to try gentooplayer.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

image.png.bdce5dbbfac7967b4a1de68f92b2ceca.pngimage.png.6e91c832153d659737ac09a8dfbf072f.png

• 3 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, Zauurx said:

@matthias

Allo offers a version of Dietpi with the Asix ethernet driver in version V2 for Dietpi 6.26.
http://3.230.113.73:9011/Allocom/DietPi/DietPi_v6.26m1_RPi-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI.img.7z
But if I update to 6.26 >> 6.29 or 6.30, the driver 2.0 goes back to 0.1.4 (?) (kernel 4.19.73)

I think, 6.26m1 is a local compiled version.. Please can you update to 6.30 ?

I think I agree with this, I just checked when on 6.30 and it was on 0.1.4, so I just manually updated to version 2.0.

I am still hearing pops, annoying as I thought this was solved. I am tempted to try some alternatives to Dietpi, possibly Gentoo player which I have had working on another end point. To save time going through all alternatives, if anyone using Gentoo player, what number kernel are you using? And are you loading into ram etc?

1 hour ago, 87mpi said:

I've tried all alternative, but the only solution (form me) is to use gentooplayer.  install latest version (2.13) but you must switch to kernel 4.14.114 no RT. This is the only kernel that works. 

I have switched to 4.14, specifically 4.14.114-GentooPlayer-MIN+, I gather I can choose between 1-9, this is number 1, which is the correct number to choose? Thanks.

21 minutes ago, 87mpi said:

Make sure you use 4.14.114-010320 no RT and N° 20 (standard kernel)

4.14.114-060120 is different, be careful! 

Again, this is the only combination that solved the problems with the DSDs.

I run all to dsd 256 without problems. Also make sure you have flashed the latest rme firmware.

Mine is the first version (4490) .

Let me know

Ok, I am going to try again as I have had pops for 1-9 and 20. I am pretty sure I used the right kernel but worth me checking. I only have naa running for hq player upsampling also to dsd 256 to a topping d90 balanced dac, all ethernet, no WiFi.

Thanks for the help!

14 hours ago, rossco said:

I have had it working with Dietpi in the past, so I might need to go back.

I dug around in my old support thread I had with Allo back ealier this year and found a link to DietPi_v6.26m1 on the allo website. I downloaded and did some limited testing last night and the popping has stopped. I need to test a bit more, but basically, I don't think I will upgrade until I know the newer versions actually work.

16 hours ago, chipvn said:

I'm running both UPNP, Roon endpoint and HQPlayer NAA on USBridge Signature so could not use only Moode or Ropieee (although it works well with all version). I also had clicks, pops, drop-off with different OS when use high-res content (included DSD).

Switched to GentooPlayer V2.13, there are some combination work really well with latest Kernel 4.19.106.

First, I set Profile to either 4 or 2 (my current) without using RAMSysterm.

Then select any Kernel without ST (standard) or RT (real time) (from 1-9 if I remember correctly)

I suggest also set fix CPU frequency to 800

I'm currently using Kernel 4.19.106-GentooPlayer-MIN-EPU100 with profile 2 without loading to RAM and CPU fix at 800. This combination works very well and sounds great.

Hope it helps

Thank you for your detailed response. I am testing further right now with dietpi and I can still hear the odd pop which is frustrating. I will have a go at your suggested config. How do you fix the CPU? 

20 hours ago, chipvn said:

I'm running both UPNP, Roon endpoint and HQPlayer NAA on USBridge Signature so could not use only Moode or Ropieee (although it works well with all version). I also had clicks, pops, drop-off with different OS when use high-res content (included DSD).

Switched to GentooPlayer V2.13, there are some combination work really well with latest Kernel 4.19.106.

First, I set Profile to either 4 or 2 (my current) without using RAMSysterm.

Then select any Kernel without ST (standard) or RT (real time) (from 1-9 if I remember correctly)

I suggest also set fix CPU frequency to 800

I'm currently using Kernel 4.19.106-GentooPlayer-MIN-EPU100 with profile 2 without loading to RAM and CPU fix at 800. This combination works very well and sounds great.

Hope it helps

This is really quite promising, I have set-up in the way you describe, and done a few more bits and pieces. I have disabled things like HDMI and the various LEDs etc and set the DAC-USB. And it works really well. I have listened to a few albums, and I don't think I have heard any pops, two possibly, but not clearly and may have been on the song. I do wonder if I should change the CPU govenor, are there any other settings to tweak?

12 hours ago, chipvn said:

Glad that it helped you found the combination works for your system.

Actually, the main contribution for that is the combination of profile and non RT kernel. I have done all of other tweaks as you did with other profiles and RT kernels but it did not work.

You don't need to change the CPU governor if you don't see issue with the current setting. I did it because I want to underclock the CPU (beside swiching off other unused port like HDMI) to minimize heat and probably noise.

Thank you! And I have set the CPU to 800mhz as you did. I will try a bit more tonight!

• 4 months later...

I had lots of issues with pops and crackles when I first bought the USBSig and Shanti (running dietpi at the time, HQPlayer running with NAA on the Sig, DSD 256 into my Topping D90). It took me a long time to eliminate them, and I only got there once I installed Gentoo player, and even then, after trying myriad settings. Anyway, I forgot about the pops after a while, and yesterday I heard Ropieee XL had NAA now included so I wanted to give it a go, so I downloaded, burned on a mem card and swapped over. I have Ropieee installed on two RPI4 endpoints around the house and it is great. I gave it a listen last night, and I fancy I can hear a few pops and clicks again. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?