IGNORED

GentooPlayer

31 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

I installed and tested the GentooPlayer x86 version over the weekend and heard the best sound of my Digital system. I've been using the Euphony OS on my Intel NUC8 but the GentooPlayer is much better to my ears. For me, MPD native sounds the best followed by Upnp/MPD and LMS/Squeezelite.  

My only concern is the NUC i7 8th Gen Fanless case gets very warm thus I checked the CPU utilization and I see around 70% of Core #2 during playback. CPU-Info shows 4.1Ghz  and Governor is "Performance". The temperature shows negative vaues, around -200 degrees. 

On the same hardware, CPU utlization barely goes above 5% when using Euphony. Am I missing something?

can you post a system-info image, htop image and top image?

the safe temperature is a false value

2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

R2 has remained the same as the initial project, the resample module has been removed and the option to accept pcm streaming has been added.

squeezelite with the option -W accepts pcm as R2, but new features are always added to the code which is often difficult to follow and understand sometimes.

Feel free to use whatever you like.

Thank you!

I see... So R2 it is somehow a simpler S.lite in order to work with C-3PO mainly?

The newer versions do not contain improvements that might affect sound quality? Apart from features.

Is R2 going to get any updates on the future?

I want to mention again that I am perfectly happy with the setup I mention in my above post just asking for the sake of conversation and to understand things better.

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

11 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

TOP.png

you're using a profile from what I see...

secure all ethernet processes are on cpu 3, that's why you're using cpu 3.....
but that use for one CPU doesn't safely increase the temperament to a worrying value.

If you remove the profile that use is divided between the different CPUs.....

the thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't reveal the temperature....
which kernel are you using?

41 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

you're using a profile from what I see...

secure all ethernet processes are on cpu 3, that's why you're using cpu 3.....
but that use for one CPU doesn't safely increase the temperament to a worrying value.

If you remove the profile that use is divided between the different CPUs.....

the thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't reveal the temperature....
which kernel are you using?

Here is the profile and kernel I'm using

Profile.png

8 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

I changed the script repos...
to align, you have to give gp-update twice.

in system-info or shell home should be as version 2.0

image.png.c94c986e32440b7ce40175e1b9e0c6d7.png

@franz159   should also be fixed what you reported

Thanks,

was by any chance the previous gp-update creating some other inconsistency?

Fomr my tests, it seems that after a gp-update the system was booting without the web interface and without ssh, thus becoming unusable...

I'm flashing the card again.... an re-testing with the new version of the gp-update script

2 hours ago, franz159 said:

Thanks,

was by any chance the previous gp-update creating some other inconsistency?

Fomr my tests, it seems that after a gp-update the system was booting without the web interface and without ssh, thus becoming unusable...

I'm flashing the card again.... an re-testing with the new version of the gp-update script

No, it's not a gp-update problem...
but you probably set up a wlan...
if then the wlan and is dw init script as ssh don't start because they can't find the wlan in the default runvel...

in the next version I'll make sure that the web-interface starts anyway....

and eventulmente if you don't use the configured wlan you have to remove it from the runvel

rc-update del net-wlan0 default   or wlan1 or wlan2 depends on the wlan you have configured...

fixed in the next version

Also, just FTY, the first time you attempt to call myMPD, Chrome raise a security alert

myMPDNotSecure.jpg.a6e437270461b939e6cd9077e70be415.jpg

Most likely due to the not-trusted certificate

myMPDCertificate.jpg.0ad9198081bbe283a0cde93ac83f9384.jpg

you see it as an unsafe site...
but if I remember correctly in mympd settings there must be something to do with the certificate...

image.png.cd2c318174de33fc16d2dc15a0d5ea65.png

I Issued gp-update 2 or 3 times...

After "Enable" MyMPD gets activated at startup, but does not show up as active in System Info:

Systeminfo_no_myMPD.jpg.d3a9c110f63e74af19e31c8ff42d6ae1.jpg

gp-update fix

Hi, here the same problem reported by franz159

I’m trying to install your sw to test it but every time, after some configuration, RPI do not reboot and I must reflash the card starting from 0 ....

My configuration should be quite simple:

configure static IP address 

enable mpd 

enable upmpdcli

assign a usb dac 

but something go wrong and pi do not reboot .... every time, with different microSD

It seems that something breaks the sw, during reboot I can see just few green flashes then nothing at all ... died

I do not have any wlan configured in my network

my rpi is a RPI 4/4Gb (ver. 1.2) and the dac is a Khadas Tone Board

thank you

stefano

Stefano

My audio system

Hi @antonellocaroli, Many thanks for debugging my NUC8 issues regarding high CPU utilization. The CPU utilization is now barely moving from 0%. Also I activated hyperthreading and tweaked the Profile with my own settings. The system now sounds terrific! With hypertheding ON and the tweaked profiles, it sounds very dynamic and very bold but the CPU temperature hovers to around 71 degress celcius with CPU frequency pegged to 4100Mhz. I am worried that the CPU don't last thus I disabled Turbo and now at 2700Khz the temperature is around 50 degrees. A noticed a slight reduction in dynamic and boldness and a slight shrinking of the soundstage but I think I like it more as the musical presentation is more immediate albeit intimate. 

To compare, I tried to switch to my Euphony OS by booting from the Optane drive and immediately I noticed the reduction in musicality, transparency and PRAT. Euphony sounds slow and boring in comparison.

I encountered one issue though that wasn't there before. I could not activate RamSystem. I tried Option 3 and Optio 4 but I'm getting this error:

RamSystem Error.PNG

Hi there,

I have been having some pops and crackles on my Allo USBridge Signature using dietpi and it has been suggested I try Gentooplayer. I have downloaded this image, GentoPlayerRpi64-200126, and flashed the card using etcher. However I am having a few problems logging on to it.

I can see Gentoo on my router and its IP, but I cannot logon using it. Looking at the tips page, the link there, GentooPlayerRpi64:5000 does not work for me (I tried the others too). And, if I use putty, using 'root' and then 'gentooplayer' as the password, this is then denied.

I aGentooPlayerRpi64What am I doing wrong? (its probably staring me in the face!!) Thanks.

14 minutes ago, rossco said:

Hi there,

I have been having some pops and crackles on my Allo USBridge Signature using dietpi and it has been suggested I try Gentooplayer. I have downloaded this image, GentoPlayerRpi64-200126, and flashed the card using etcher. However I am having a few problems logging on to it.

I can see Gentoo on my router and its IP, but I cannot logon using it. Looking at the tips page, the link there, GentooPlayerRpi64:5000 does not work for me (I tried the others too). And, if I use putty, using 'root' and then 'gentooplayer' as the password, this is then denied.

I aGentooPlayerRpi64What am I doing wrong? (its probably staring me in the face!!) Thanks.

password: raspiroot

webinterface ip:5000

22 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Hi, here the same problem reported by franz159

I’m trying to install your sw to test it but every time, after some configuration, RPI do not reboot and I must reflash the card starting from 0 ....

My configuration should be quite simple:

configure static IP address 

enable mpd 

enable upmpdcli

assign a usb dac 

but something go wrong and pi do not reboot .... every time, with different microSD

It seems that something breaks the sw, during reboot I can see just few green flashes then nothing at all ... died

I do not have any wlan configured in my network

my rpi is a RPI 4/4Gb (ver. 1.2) and the dac is a Khadas Tone Board

thank you

stefano

1 hour ago, Lukasluis said:

Hi @antonellocaroli, Many thanks for debugging my NUC8 issues regarding high CPU utilization. The CPU utilization is now barely moving from 0%. Also I activated hyperthreading and tweaked the Profile with my own settings. The system now sounds terrific! With hypertheding ON and the tweaked profiles, it sounds very dynamic and very bold but the CPU temperature hovers to around 71 degress celcius with CPU frequency pegged to 4100Mhz. I am worried that the CPU don't last thus I disabled Turbo and now at 2700Khz the temperature is around 50 degrees. A noticed a slight reduction in dynamic and boldness and a slight shrinking of the soundstage but I think I like it more as the musical presentation is more immediate albeit intimate. 

To compare, I tried to switch to my Euphony OS by booting from the Optane drive and immediately I noticed the reduction in musicality, transparency and PRAT. Euphony sounds slow and boring in comparison.

I encountered one issue though that wasn't there before. I could not activate RamSystem. I tried Option 3 and Optio 4 but I'm getting this error:

RamSystem Error.PNG

I've updated, the script system, something must have escaped me... I'll fix it... report the errors...

just for info:

Lukasluis's problem with the ramsystem was due to the fact that he had mounted nas sharing directly in /var/lib/mpd/music...

this is not a correct way to mount shares.....
you have to use the /mnt or /media path for mounts....
or better use the web interface tools

mpd automatically finds the files in those paths (/mnt and /media).....

directly mounting the sharing in /var/lib/mpd/music, meant having a /var/lib/mpd/music of about 5TB which is impossible to have in ram...

13 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

just for info:

Lukasluis's problem with the ramsystem was due to the fact that he had mounted nas sharing directly in /var/lib/mpd/music...

this is not a correct way to mount shares.....
you have to use the /mnt or /media path for mounts....
or better use the web interface tools

mpd automatically finds the files in those paths (/mnt and /media).....

directly mounting the sharing in /var/lib/mpd/music, meant having a /var/lib/mpd/music of about 5TB which is impossible to have in ram...

Thanks Antonello for the help. Now I'm using RAM mode with my settings resulting in another transparency improvement.

Hi everybody, I restarted with a newly flashed mage today.... almost all good, only a minor thing that MyMpd still does not show in systeminfo (see 10.d).

My configuration and test sequence was:
image.thumb.png.58b5c9acaa03cfdf89bf07a6122b2a10.png

Now I have a question. If I try to mount a remote disk I have an empty list of available network shares, under "List Disk cifs", while I do have at least one Samba Share.

Is this because I have Ramsystem active?

Should I disable Ramsystem first?

Thanks

Thanks

Hi everybody, I restarted with a newly flashed mage today.... almost all good, only a minor thing that MyMpd still does not show in systeminfo (see 10.d).

My configuration and test sequence was:
image.thumb.png.58b5c9acaa03cfdf89bf07a6122b2a10.png

Now I have a question. If I try to mount a remote disk I have an empty list of available network shares, under "List Disk cifs", while I do have at least one Samba Share.

Is this because I have Ramsystem active?

Should I disable Ramsystem first?

Thanks

Thanks

I'd say that all those operations should be made not in RAM mode!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

A GREAT thanks to @antonellocaroli for debugging and solving my issue directly on my system....

Gentooplayer was halting during reboot due to a particular configuration of my Samba share with an empty password, requiring to type a "RETURN" character to proceed, thus preventing the automatic mount of the share itself at boot.

All this was happening before ssh and web interface were activated, thus preventing any kind of connection to the raspberry!

On 2/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, antonellocaroli said:

password: raspiroot

webinterface ip:5000

Thanks, I managed to get in, both via the web interface and with putty.

I can start Roon bridge and it is recognised in Roon, however I cannot seem to start NAA, it doesnt seem to save the settings via the web interface, and I can't see the NAA via HQ Player on my desktop. Any tips anyone?

Update: a couple of reboots later and its working (I can see Gentoo player in HQ Player desktop), however when the music play, it has lots of pops and crackles present. Any thoughts on adjustments? Thank you.