IGNORED

Newbie: building a MCH/HT system around UDP205

I recently bought a UDP205 principally for stereo audio, but am now thinking about using it in my first MCH audio and Home Theatre system. I have maybe a couple of hundred MCH SACDs, most of which are also ripped to iso (for now).  My musical taste is mainly orchestral classical.

My plan is to use the analogue outputs of the Oppo for  audio (inc for HT) some points I’d be grateful for collective wisdom on:

is it safe/desirable to rely on the Oppo’s vol control and go straight to a 5 channel power amp?

for optimum performance, it’s best to use the Oppo’s stereo output for F L+R , then MCH outputs for remaining channels so that both DAC  chips are used?

any recommendations as to a sub £2k 5 channel power amp,  for someone used to a pretty transparent stereo set up?

I’m thinking about using 5 Kef LS50s + sub.  Does that sound a sensible choice for speakers, any sub recommendation?

Does the Oppo play MCH DSD and PCM via attached storage, network shares, DLNA and USB DAC input, or just from SACD/DVD-A?  

As I’m starting from scratch, should  I be thinking of  7.1 instead?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Norton, in the past i used to have a 105EU so my answers are based on that experience as I have never owned a 205.

is it safe/desirable to rely on the Oppo’s vol control and go straight to a 5 channel power amp?

I had my 105EU directly into a power amp using the 105 volume control. Worked fine for me. It is safe as Oppo mentions this kind of set up on their site, https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blogs/reviews-resources/15420449-using-your-oppo-as-a-pre-amplifier But when in doubt it is best to get in touch with Oppo customer support.

for optimum performance, it’s best to use the Oppo’s stereo output for F L+R , then MCH outputs for remaining channels so that both DAC  chips are used?

That is correct. You need to select this in the menu if I am not mistaken.

any recommendations as to a sub £2k 5 channel power amp,  for someone used to a pretty transparent stereo set up?

Parasound A52+, sub 3k though.

Does the Oppo play MCH DSD and PCM via attached storage, network shares, DLNA and USB DAC input, or just from SACD/DVD-A?

It does, https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?ProdID=UDP-205 I am not sure how well gapless is implemented now.

Hope this helps.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:17 PM, Norton said:

Yes but the Oppo GUI is clumsy compared to the better music player softwares available and, if your collection enlarges, it becomes pretty useless.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

As far as I can see the Oppo  doesn't play MCH via USB  DAC input.  I noted it’s not referenced in the (short) surveys of affordable MCH dacs.

And I’ve already concluded that the app  is terrible - doesn’t play music in order shown (without shuffle selected to be clear) doesn’t create a visible/editable queue for SMB sources, just stops play, refuses to respond seemingly at random etc etc.  The old app for the 105 seemed better.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

As far as I can see the Oppo  doesn't play MCH via USB  DAC input.  I noted it’s not referenced in the (short) surveys of affordable MCH dacs.

No but it will do multichannel via HDMI and act as a multichannel renderer via LAN.

4 hours ago, Norton said:

And I’ve already concluded that the app  is terrible - doesn’t play music in order shown (without shuffle selected to be clear) doesn’t create a visible/editable queue for SMB sources, just stops play, refuses to respond seemingly at random etc etc.  The old app for the 105 seemed better.

Well, don't use its crummy GUI.  I am listening right now to 5.1 DSD played on my JRiver/PC with the Oppo 103 as a renderer.  (FWIW, I am also using the Oppo's HDMI output as input to a Marantz AV-8805 prepro!)

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile