IGNORED

Amp Options for B&W 803 D3 Speakers?

I use an MC462 with a C53 preamp. A trio made in heaven. Matched at 4 ohms. The 803's simply shine when driven stoutly. I have them complemented by a pair of DB1 subs. Bass with the combo is veritably bottomless and extraordinarily powerful. Not overbearing, just a seemingly endless capacity to produce the lowest registers cleanly at any sound level with no distortion. Matching is superbly simple simply use the 802 d2 setting of the subs and done. 

• 1 year later...

Absolutely. The 803 has decent sensitivity. As long as you're not planning to play very loud a 125 tube amp should be just fine. Note that it will sound very different than with solid state, the 803d3 has extraordinary resolution, thus tubes vs transistors will be readily apparent. You will have to decide which appeals to you the most. If it were me I would "test" before swapping. Remember tubes are naturally distorting (warm) some people love that characteristic some don't. I like them both but a tube amp that could drive the volume levels I occasionally enjoy would most definitely break the bank. High power tube amps are ridiculously expensive.

The Cadenza Black biggest attribute is transparency, it has no coloration at all. It will dig the smallest detail in an unvarnished fashion. To some, particularly if you like warmth, it may sound on the "cold" spectrum. In my opinion you can never be too revealing, while warmness is a good thing particularly with less than perfect recordings, it also "veils" the one that are superb. It all boils down to expectations and preferences once you get to a certain level.

Given that I'm an accuracy nut, I do suffer from hearing warts that other equally good but warmer systems would effectively hide. 

BTW if anyone is in the market for an AV processor, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mcintosh MX123. I just bought one in to replace my old Rotel one which died. The MX123 is excellent in all respects, the new Audyssey room correction is superbly effective and very easy to use. Worth every penny.

26 minutes ago, PeterG said:

I feed my B&W 805s and DB3D with McIntosh tubes--C22/MC275.  I love this combination, and i tried several excellent SS amps in comparison.  I don't know if a single MC275 is enough for the 803s, though you could buy a pair.  The MC462 mentioned would also be a great choice, with pluses and minuses compared to the MC275.  If you do not have a local dealer, perhaps Best Buy would ship McIntosh gear to you under their excellent return policy?  (Just in case you do not love it.)  If that will not work, a number of online stores will allow returns with a reasonable restocking fee.

I do agree with your general premise that amplifiers are critical.  With respect to previous posters, who perhaps do not share our view on the importance of excellent amps, I would not even consider Class D or trying to do this for less than $10,000 or so.  And I would not complain if you spent $20,000.  If you're dropping all that money on the speakers, you really need to get an excellent amp to make them sing.

Good luck!

The M275 might be cutting it a little close but theoretically it should work