IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Crosby, Stills & Nash Self-Titled Debut

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

Brothers in Arms is 100% going to be a TBVO, likely sooner rather than later. (Given that I only manage to do 2-4 per year, the meaning of “sooner” is debatable, though!)

As an early all-digital album and one that was used to demonstrate the then-new CD format, it’s one I’ve had in mind from the very beginning, and I already have most versions. I just bought a sealed copy of the 20th anniversary CD/DVD, actually.

The weird quirk of Brothers in Arms is that some digital reissues inexplicably use the shorter versions of the tracks originally intended for vinyl. So I’m not quite sure how to handle those versions in my TBVO. Should those be crossed off from the get-go?

I think eliminating them would be the logical and optimum choice. After all, they were shorter versions intended for vinyl, and this isn't a "what is the best vinyl" version of a track or album" series.

JC

13 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

I think eliminating them would be the logical and optimum choice. After all, they were shorter versions intended for vinyl, and this isn't a "what is the best vinyl" version of a track or album" series.

JC

That’s kind of my feeling, too. Were the original album the vinyl — with “extended” versions released later on CD — I’d want to include them all. But this was a digital album originally released on CD. The edited songs were a compromise for vinyl, in my understanding.