IGNORED

Article: New AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt

2 hours ago, mansr said:

It's meaningless. Digital volume control by necessity means bit are altered. Bit-perfect means bits are not altered. Can't have it both ways.

Which is why I said I'd be interested to learn more. Since the AQ description doesn't say anything, how (without giving away IP) does the volume control actually operate?

We (Chris) may not get a comprehensible answer, but it didn't cost anything to ask, so...

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

21 minutes ago, mansr said:

The Dragonfly Red uses the built-in volume control in the ESS DAC. I assume it does a simple multiplication, since that's all a volume control needs to do.

If you want to know for sure what the Cobalt does, send me one and I'll find out.

I won't have one to send.  🙂  Since the descriptions are identical, I assume it works just like the Red.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.