IGNORED

Speakers are least important

37 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Yes please post a 24/96 and aac version of the audio from one your vids. Maybe in a new thread😬

128kbps .aac is crap which is why YouTube uses it. They want you to purchase the recordings based on watching  the video, but not save the Videos instead of purchasing the songs. 576kbps .aac audio doesn't sound too bad though.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On the subject of low bit rate 128kbps .aac, does anybody have a preference with the audio of these 2 versions ?

The .mp4 version is the original YouTube .mp4, and the other is a larger file size DVD format file with LPCM.

The LPCM version was created by simply converting the ORIGINAL 127kbps .aac audio to .wav without any other processing.

I will delete these videos in 24 hours. They can be played directly from DropBox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c91wp17uq8ptvu3/Carly Simon - You're So Vain mp4.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jvvd9lu7t4qlbi/Carly Simon - You're So Vain.mpg?dl=0

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

23 minutes ago, STC said:

With iPhone using DB player. MPG is unlistenable with static noise. But I suppose now I must blame the phone. MP4 is normal. 

Perhaps your phone doesn't like 1536kbps 48kHz LPCM?

It sounds very good here directly from the Dropbox player. (I just tried it again after seeing your post.)

25 minutes ago, STC said:

I used XS and DB player in the browser. So it looks like whatever format you suggest not going to work for me. 

It was a standard NTSC DVD format. 720 x 480 8,000kbps 29.97 FPS  1536 kbps Stereo 48kHz

JRiver and VLC Media Player play it, as does the Dropbox player directly.

10 hours ago, Rexp said:

The mp4 sounds off, did you use this to exract the audio'

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

Maybe try aac instead.

The .mp4 version is the same one without any conversion whatsoever, that I downloaded from Google and is an exact copy of it according to the Checksums, not that this proves anything. :P

Carly Simon mp4.jpg

10 hours ago, Rexp said:

The upconverted version does sound better, why would that be? 

That's a very good question. Perhaps the reconstruction with more data points is part of the answer, but the resident know-it-alls dispute that original explanation from the designers of CD.

Incidentally, I can also get a small improvement from low bit rate .aac by upsampling it to 576kbps which is the highest resolution available in .aac for my Video S/W.

35 minutes ago, Rexp said:

What I particularly like about is the complete lack of digital glare. What software did you use? 

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5

There is a more recent version of this S/W though.

For those who missed the original post, these are the links to them that will be removed. later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jvvd9lu7t4qlbi/Carly Simon - You're So Vain.mpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c91wp17uq8ptvu3/Carly Simon - You're So Vain mp4.mp4?dl=0

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

No, I'm saying that any audible (tonal) difference between loudspeakers implies a difference in FR

This can also be due to cabinet resonances etc.

13 minutes ago, Abtr said:

Are you saying that cabinet resonances don't show up in FR measurements?

No. I am simply making the point that differences in tonal quality between speaker drivers with identical frequency response can be due to cabinet resonances.

You were reading far too much into my reply. Of course there may be minor differences in the Waterfall plot that most people are unlikely to be able to correctly interpret anyway..

P.S.

We are now getting way off the original topic which is Speakers are Least Important which is completely wrong anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterfall_plot

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

So say you audiion a SOTA system and it does it all but you can't afford it, you can substitute lower cost speakers into that system and it will still deliver the emotion. 

That doesn't mean the speakers are least important though.

With my original DCM QED 1A speakers I first saw a review of them in Australian Hi Fi where they also showed technical measurements including a Waterfall plot, which showed that they were quite a bit better than average for speakers back then.

After that I then went to a local dealer along with another technical friend, where they were properly set up, and after hearing them bought them.

Hi Peter

You really need to update your links in your posts, as well as your email contact details.¬¬

Regards

Alex

phasure.com.jpg

49 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I am not sure how this relates to said "email contact details" (I am receiving your regular spam 😉

Not today.

That's how I found out ¬¬ You may be missing out on sales now too.

If they are personalised searches, then you are going to be in BIG trouble if SWMBO saw the top left one in my post !!!  :o

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Dear Alex - you missed the gag, and by now the opportunity to edit that post

Peter

We both know that I would be highly unlikely at my age to look for that,  or those kinds of restaurants :D

It's hard enough for me to even afford the occasional Mcdonalds these days .:$

Alex