IGNORED

How much difference does it make?

I have learned a lot of great information from the CA/AS community since joining. I went completely network based frontend and started to use better cable and power supplies. After playing with a lot of streamers and linear power supplies, I came to the conclusion that, to my ears, software, power supply, connection interface (network, USB, optical) and cables make up about 10% difference in overall sound quality. Headphone/speaker probably make up 30%-40%, amp 20%-30%, DAC 15%-30%. I have absolutely no problem spending a lot to get the most out of that 10%, but perhaps the best value is spend on the down stream components that could make a bigger difference in the overall sound quality. 

Do others feel that their frontend makes significantly more than 10% difference to their overall listening experience. If so, how much. I'm talking about sound quality alone, not the software/user interface. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

17 hours ago, SJK said:

Wait a minute.  Looking at your equipment list, you don’t even own a stereo system.  You have a headphone amplifier and a mid-range pair of headphones.  

Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not convinced that your system is able of resolving any subtle nuances that a cable change could make.  

Am I missing something?

I'm saying headphone or speaker. I'm not sure someone would call Susvara a midrange headphone.  Are you thinking of Sundara?

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

My chain actually changed and haven't updated it. Now I use either DLNA server and stream straight from Pro iDSD or use Ultrarendu as Roon endpoint then feed Pro iDSD. My amp is now Soundaware P1 which is an excellent headphone amp for the price. I tested it against Voilectric V281,  MHA100, GSx MK2, Pro iCan, and the P1 beats all of them out. Anyways, I think removing Pro iDSD from the USB chain makes a noticeable difference. Ethernet/network is definitely the way to go, but it's still improvement within 10% of hardcap from my perspective. 

At one point I bought Wireworld Platinum Starlight ethernet cable, and I can't tell the difference between that and the $20 Amazon Cat6e cable, so I sold it. I also use Wireworld Electra power cables for both my amp and Pro iDSD. Everything is fed into Audioquest Niagara 1000. I think it makes some difference, but I would say the difference is subtle enough, it could be placebo effect also. 

29 minutes ago, SJK said:

I should have elaborated in greater detail.  My point was that while your assumption of the differences that power supplies or cables could possibly make is your experience with your system.  For any other system with innumerable variables those conditions would not necessarily hold true.  

And, my intent was not to insult your headphones.  Yes, I have a pair of older Grado RS1e’s that I use rarely.  I think I prefer speakers as a sound source, but do have the room for a decent setup.

I have always been a headphone guy. I think from DAC, AMP, Headphone perspective, I have tried a lot of gear. I'm trying to figure out what the rest (cables, power source, frontend, software) can do for the overall sound. My conclusion is 10%. I have no problem spending a lot to achieve any audible difference even it's just within that 10%. I just want to see if that's what others experience is. 

A friend locally just bought the Zenith MKIII to feed his mDave setup. He admits Zen as a server maybe give him about 10% improvement over USB. However, he is driving Hifiman HE1000se straight out of the Dave, which may not have enough amp to drive HeKse to its full potential.  

I feel I got the headphone/speaker, amp, dac figured out, so I know that anything else I change is not because I under invested in the downstream components.