IGNORED

DSD with Audio-GD R8

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, lvc10000 said:

I have the M7 Singularity (model just prior to R7) and have no issue with any format playing through my MicroRendu. Low res,  high res, dsd. Don't even notice the switch in the sense that their isn't a latency or sound/click odd any sort.

Thank you for the response. I have not gotten it to play anything other than PCM. Are you using HQPlayer/Roon?

14 minutes ago, lvc10000 said:

I’m not using HQP anymore as I have made a bridged connection which i felt was best to having a switch in the equation with HQP and my ears are allergic to upsampling it seems ;)

But through Roon with or without convolution files I have no issues.

Thank you. I will try with Roon and see if that changes anything.

13 minutes ago, lvc10000 said:

If I recall HQP, when switching sampling rate input/type, didn’t you have to switch it in the settings? Trying to recall as I haven’t used it in a year or two

In HQP, you do have to specify the sample rate in settings. I have selected that for DSD, but only get PCM when I check Roon.

8 minutes ago, lvc10000 said:

Sorry, can’t help you there. I don’t recall how I was doing it back then

Not a problem. I'll give it another shot and see what happens. I bought a Gustard U16 that I am able to use with HQP/Roon for DSD via I2S.

1 minute ago, lvc10000 said:

Then a question from my side.. I suppose you insert the u16 between the MicroRendu and the Audio-GD.. Better? How?

I tried the microRendu between U16 and Audio-GD, but could not get it to work so I tried the microRendu into the USB input on the Audio-GD and could only get PCM to work. I think I have seen on head-fi where someone was able to get microRendu=>U16=>Audio-GD to work, but I have not been able to.

1 hour ago, lvc10000 said:

Let me know how it went with the u16 after the Rendu.

I also almost bought one following the same treads but didn’t pull the trigger in the end as they weren’t using/comparing with a solution like ours

It still doesn't work.

Just went downstairs to play some dsd files as you got me hesitating. I only have dsd64 files but they play fine.

In my Roon settings I don't see much you could get wrong or choose from. And I have all dsp disabled apart from convolution.

In the MicroRendu settings, in the roon ready settings I have the following: for audio device I have "USB output" selected (not my audio-gd dac) and for dsd support I have "native dsd" which is selected.

Of course in the audio app switcher I have roon ready which is active.

I am running the tda software on my audio-gd but v2 and v3 were also working fine if I recall

Does this help?

14 hours ago, lvc10000 said:

Just went downstairs to play some dsd files as you got me hesitating. I only have dsd64 files but they play fine.

In my Roon settings I don't see much you could get wrong or choose from. And I have all dsp disabled apart from convolution.

In the MicroRendu settings, in the roon ready settings I have the following: for audio device I have "USB output" selected (not my audio-gd dac) and for dsd support I have "native dsd" which is selected.

Of course in the audio app switcher I have roon ready which is active.

I am running the tda software on my audio-gd but v2 and v3 were also working fine if I recall

Does this help?

I'm still at the same sticking point. I think it is an issue with the microRendu because it looks like it is not outputting DSD so Roon only shows the PCM option. I am not able to select DSD. I appreciate your help on this for sure.

1 hour ago, lvc10000 said:

But I don't see anything in my settings in roon relating to dsd. 

15618394391694470389947619456849.jpg

1561839516852211189181955144830.jpg

If I plug the USB cable straight into my R8, I am able to select DSD settings. It has to be something with the microRendu.

Audio-GD Straight USB.JPG

Audio-GD R8 Full DSD.JPG

I have sort of the same in Roon DSP. All formats and sample rates work fine natively over here so I'd be tempted to say it's elsewhere of course.

For me it had to be HQP which is not always very compatible/friendly in terms of handshake. Or the U16 which they mention having had plenty of issues with (I think it was in DSD upsampling and u16 software config) on head-fi. I'd reach out over there also if you haven't yet.

15618734453378244492229057682249.jpg

13 hours ago, lvc10000 said:

I have sort of the same in Roon DSP. All formats and sample rates work fine natively over here so I'd be tempted to say it's elsewhere of course.

For me it had to be HQP which is not always very compatible/friendly in terms of handshake. Or the U16 which they mention having had plenty of issues with (I think it was in DSD upsampling and u16 software config) on head-fi. I'd reach out over there also if you haven't yet.

15618734453378244492229057682249.jpg

Thank you for your help. I' think it is a microRendu issue as I am able to play DSD512 through Roon with the U16 and I can get DSD256 with HQPlayer/Roon to work through the U16. You are right about the U16 having some firmware issues. I am using FW 1.4PSA with my R8 and it sounds amazing.