IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

I checked the website of Paul Hynes LTD. The rate they make is really slow, like 3 a month, almost like ordering a hand made piano - (well A Bösendorfer takes 5 yrs to make), The site has an order form, now it requests payment. Do you know if the payment is to pay in full on order or pay a deposit first ? (usually 10-20% in most companies )

1 minute ago, your momo said:

Oups, are we living on the same planet ?

"Payment in full" - that's perfectly true ...and in advance of course 😉

But sorry to shower your entusiasme regarding the remaining qualifiers:

"100% honourable" - It's too early to comment for Mark, but regarding Paul his track record and behavior with respect to his paid in advance and still waiting SR7 customers over the past two years don't qualify him as honourable anymore, sorry not.

"no quibbles over refunds" - again nothing to say about Mark, but regarding Paul he is not open for any refund. Even being overly busy and unable to deliver what agreed and promised in a reasonable amount of time, still let him inflexible... The only exception is if somebody pay, at least same amount as you paid, and so take your build order - this qualify more as transfer than refund.

Agree,  I am hesitant to put in the order for a SR7 even via PayPal (which has guarantee but limited to 30 days to file), as surely if it cannot be delivered within say 30 days then they should not ask for a 100% payment. When one buys from any company that requires a long time to make, and numerous small companies have long wait, they should not ask for 100% payment at time of order. They should ask for 10-20% and upon finishing it and ready shop then the customer pays the remaining price. I think that is reasonable, and would make more people comfortable putting an order in. 

53 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I'm #31, not sure how long the queue is.  Alas, I don't move up when someone else cancels.  

In an ideal world, it seems fair that everyone that wants out gets a full refund (assuming no money has been spent on parts for that build), and the rest of us move up in the queue, at least until Paul has had a chance to catch up.  That being said, Paul was very clear about his policy when I placed my order, and I knew going in I'd need to be patient.

I think the web states 3 SR7 per month production speed ??  (like I said, as slow as a Bosendorfer piano ??), so it would take about 10 months for you if all goes well (assuming no disaster on Paul's part, e.g. no illness, no loss of staff, or other problems with his site, who knows) 

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the SR are coming along on time. For the DR version, it would be custom built by Paul himself? And that can take eons ? How much more expensive for a DR7 ? Is it worth it to get the best by doing DR? I am asking this because for e.g. I think  Farad offers DR in their PS (though they don't have a 10A version yet)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Egill23 said:

Brexit should not make the products significantly more expensive for EU customers; the UK VAT is not added, instead your own countries VAT is and in many cases that is about equal. There might be administrative costs, problems and delays at the customs though.

My package with the SR4T, which I was worried about seems to be moving along now:

14/5/202113:58Delivery Agent - SWEDEN Awaiting Customs clearance

14/5/202113:58Delivery Agent - SWEDEN Tracked in destination country

12/5/202113:13Delivery Agent - DENMARK Tracked in destination country

11/5/20219:47Delivery Agent - SWEDEN Address problem - sender contacted

I agree it is a real shame that a company with products that are so highly regarded are not able to survive. Maybe the market is too small when new manufacturers are getting better or maybe not enough people are aware of the significance of power supplies?

The failure hmmm..not sure,,, who knows.. budget error? There seems to be enough orders, and they took full.payment first and so there should not be financial issue unless cost of supples.suddenly increase and they did not adjust for the sale price

11 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

That's the most relevant data-point, IMO. FWIW: When doing the analysis, I chose SJ products because he/they worked to *reduce* wait times for customers.

Are PH supplies better? I doubt it, but who cares: you can't get one.

Are they more expensive? Maybe they are. Maybe that's the COB it takes to make a world-class product and deliver it in the customer's life time. 

Sad to see *any* small biz go under, but many do, every day, all over the world. And not always because of quality control. Sorry if it seems like piling on, but the red flags were flying on this one for a long time...

Hmm, the full payment was t

What makes me hesitant as most boutique shops that build to order take a % if to.take months to make and then full price at delivery- now ironically with the upfront payment, there should be less risk of bankruptcy. U are right that COB costs.more.for reason to ensure survival of the company and  ensure delivery in time. I would not mind paying upfront if delivery is within a week or 2

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

You've been ripped off would be my opinion. Anything that takes maybe 1-3 days at most to assemble and yet can't be delivered over a period of years, you will never see, no matter where you're at in line (what a joke). What I find hard to fathom is that people continued to line up and give full payment even after supplies were backordered for over a year or more. But I guess this hobby is in large part about chasing unicorns and rainbows - just be careful you don't get lost doing so.

If it was my business, I would have stopped taking orders until I knew I could catch up, otherwise it just devolves into a kind of ponzi scheme, which it obviously has. So glad I steered clear when looking for an LPS (went with the excellent Sonore Power Supply that was built and delivered in a little over a week). 

Yah I am not aware of any business that takes months to years to make their products would ask for full payment at the start of order - eg cars, violins, apartment and even some boutique hi fi makes who only would take a deposit if it would take months to make. It takes 6 months to a yr to make a violin but 3-4  yrs to make a PS! Is he trying to age the wood? A handmade piano takes few yrs to make, like a Bosendorfer and no one would pay in full time of order, only at delivery