IGNORED

Playback option in J River 15

Dennis Graves

Some questions about JRM15 output formats:

1) If I don't check the output format box in DSP Studio, what will be the "default" output parameters?

Will the sample rate (eg, 44KHZ) and bits (eg, 16) be the same as recorded and ripped for the piece being played?

2) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio, and then use "no resampling", "source bit depth" and "source number of channels", will I get the same result as if I did not chekc the output format box (ie, the parameters of the recorded and ripped piece)?

3) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and enter a bit depth of 24, will pieces recorded and ripped in 16 bits be played back in 16 bits or 24 bits?

I don't understand how you play something back in more bits than it has been recorded and ripped in? Do you "manufacture" the extra bits? If so, what does that do to the sound?

4) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and select "all sources" under sampling rate and select a high sampling rate (eg, 92KHZ), what happens when I play something recorded and ripped at a lower sampling rate?

Does JRiver then perform the same function as an upsampling DAC and somehow change the sampling rate to greater than the "native" recorded and ripped rate? What does that do to the sound?

5) Are you better off not using anything in DSP Studio (not checking any boxes) in DSP Studio? Does anything you check degrade the sound to some extent?

6) Does use of the DSP equalizer degrade the sound to some extent?

One of the big reasons for computer audio for me is to have the ability to equalize by bringing up the midrange and backing off the highs (eg, high violins) that tend to be so forward in so many recordings.

Finally, is there a good source of basic information on these issues for those of us who don't know much about bit rates, sampling etc.?

Thanks!

Hi Dennis,

1) If the box in unchecked the feature is unused. The output matches the audio, i.e. a CD is played at 16 bit / 44.1 as long as you are using WASAPI, ASIO, Kernel Streaming, or WASAPI - Event Style.

2) Yes.

3)Setting the bit number to something more than the recording simply adds zeros to the end of the word length without causing degradation in sound. Some DACs require this. 24-bit output is pretty standard with many DACs. You never want to use less bits than your recording.

4) It is upsampled with J River to your set sampling rate. This upamples before the audio leaves your computer. Your DAC sees the upsampled audio stream. In my experience hardware upsamples better than software, but I prefer no upsampling as I think it sounds more accurate. There is no right or wrong way to do this. It's all what you like.

5) Some options change the bits before leaving your computer. I prefer not to change anything and to only output bit perfect audio. Sending out 24 bit data for a 16 bit track is still bit perfect :~)

6) In my opinion the degradation is severe with any equalizer. However, as I said earlier it's all what you like that really matters. Not all EQs are built the same.

Keep asking questions around here or the J river forum and you'll get all your questions answered. It's up to you to keep asking :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

Thanks much. That is very helpful. As I net this out, to set up a bit perfect J River playback that is "one size fits all" (does not have to be changed from one piece to the next) and does not potentially degrade the sound, I would merely check the output format box in DSP Studio and change the default bitdepth to 24. Since the use of 24 bits doesn't degrade the sound for 16 bit rips, I lose nothing on 16 bit rips and gain the advantage of avoiding the J River screen that pops up when one plays a 24 bit rip (the screen asks if it can change to 24 bit depth for the piece in question). All other parts of the DSP Studio would be left at the defaults of "source number of channels" (always two for me)and sample rate of "no resampling" (to retain maximum accuracy and leave any upsampling to my BAD Alpha DAC).

Dennis

PS: As to using the DSP equalizer (which could offer an advantage on those too frequent overbright pieces), I would check the DSP Studio output format equalizer box only when I really need it. At this point, I am using a Halide Bridge as an interim solution to get the signal from the computer to my BADA DAC, so the sound may not be optimum. When Berkeley Audio Design comes out with their USB converter (soon, they say), I expect I will have significantly better sound because 1) the BAD device will be of higher quality than my interim solution and 2) I will be able to use a high quality AES/EBU digital cable from the converter to the DAC (eg, Stealth Varidig Sextet or Kubala Sosna Emotion). With the new device, I expect I will more readily hear differences such as when using the DSP equalizer.