IGNORED

Mcintosh Light - Are You Kidding Me?

22 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Agreed, but the cost of Ferrari ownership, in general, is crazy. For your average Ferrari (meaning those that sell used for $150k or less) a very wise, and skilled independent Ferrari mechanic, with over 30 years of experience, told me that "what you pay for the car will be the lest of your outlay, over the time you own it!".

Of course, a similarly experienced Mercedes Benz mechanic also told me that when I was considering a high end current. Mercedes. And, the Porsche dealerships here also charge $450-500.00 for an oil change for a Cayman, or 911, which most people would think insane.

You're highlighting a concept called TCO ("total cost of ownership").  The purchase price is often a small component of TCO for some sophisticated items we all crave.  The fact that it's largely ignored by buyers of high end anything is why there's so much late model previously owned stuff for sale.  Unfortunately, much of that stuff has been incompletely and inadequately maintained - once the original buyer discovers the cost of maintenance and normal wear replacement, he or she does only what can't be avoided and tries to sell it before it becomes a headache.

A simple brake job on a set of Brembo CCBs runs $18-20k on a Porsche, but it's a bargain at less than half that on  a 'vette - and it's amazing to me how many owners of these cars have no idea what they're in for.  Retubing a high end power amp is also a shock to the system - but, thankfully, tubes last longer than brake pads!  Routine maintenance on a Patek annual calendar would buy a really nice DAC.  Guitars need new frets, saxophones need pads & springs (which can be a surprisingly tedious and costly repair), chefs' knives need maintenance and not infrequent repair / replacement, etc etc.

Fortunately, the MacIntosh light is likely to be quite reliable, so the downstream cost is limited :)