IGNORED

3D sound with my own XTC

On 4/15/2019 at 8:36 AM, STC said:

I don’t understand. What is there to make them any cheaper when most of the product are either free or as low as $10. Perhaps, BACCH is the most expensive one at $50000 for their high end version which is now the gold standard. 

If you need the algorithm, please let me know.

Is your algorithm for stereo files ? What applications will work ?

Similar to you, I have tried almost everything available and would consider the basic BACCH if it would not be mac based.

So far, my best results are using the Blackice (Jolida) Audio Foz SSX followed by passive vol. control with partial physical crosstalk barriers.. software solutions seem phasey, incoherent, unbalanced, etc. compared to this, but the separation effect  is not as pronounced as a full barrier or ambiophonics based software.

Thanks for the Soundpimp reference. I listen mostly to studio recordings and have a complete other clean source path for a more serious audiophile type reference.

I have an upgraded Carver C16 and C9, the Miniambio box, and tried all the software listed at the ambiophonics website, not much success with that stuff..

The clearest and most convincing was a full barrier, nose to 1M behind speakers, built with multiple acoustic foam and air barriers,  speakers at 10 degrees, speakers are small monitors almost point source, listening distance less than 2 M, no software.

The Jolida is amazingly transparent as long as you use a proper tube (I think I have a RCA clear top in there) and do not push the xtc. But if you push the expansion then things get a little blurry.

I get the feeling that it is not necessary to achieve full crosstalk cancellation, as evidenced by the effect of my partial barriers. Maybe just slowing the arrival of the opposing side is sufficient to achieve a lot of the effect.

Thanks again for the ideas...

OK, thanks for the suggestions and I will check my current setup for the speakers angles.

Interesting you consider absolute phase an important attribute..

The Black Ice (Jolida) device includes what I think is an indicator for that but I never checked (yet..)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0917/Jolida_Foz_SSX_Sound_Stage_Expander_Review.htm

On the top surface there is a round gold colored plate. This disk holds four (blinking) amber LED's. They are arranged at quarter hour clock intervals at 12, 3, 6, 9. The 3 and 9 LED positions indicate the right and left channels activity. The 12 and 6 positions are for channel phase. The 12 o'clock LED indicates an in phase condition and the rarely illuminated LED below that at 6 o'clock is an out of phase indication.