IGNORED

Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings

I probably won't get this, as I already have most of the tracks in hi-rez, with the original albums released in 24/192 in 2016. These sound very good.

Highresaudio offers the new set in 24-96 only, with this explanation:

"Please Note: We offer this album in its native sampling rate of 96 kHz, 24-bit. The provided 192 kHz version was up-sampled and offers no audible value! "

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/re4yfz/john-coltrane-coltrane-58-the-prestige-recordings-remastered

It's sad that no booklet is included with the download.

Claude

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

By the way, another example: The complete 6 disc version of the Allman Brother’s at Fillmore East was released in 192k. After many earlier adopters bought it, it turned out that the 192 was an upsample of the 96. How and why? The analog was digitized at 24/96. For mixing purposes, it was upsampled to 24/192. They then downsampled the result back to 24/96, but also marketed the original mix version in 24/192 -as if it was a “real” 192k version and charged more for it. 
Unfortunately, record labels do this kind of crap all the time, and I’m guessing a similar thing is going on here. 

This is especially bad when download stores charge significantly more for 24/192 files than for 24/96 files, such as HDtracks ($25 vs $18, for a regular album)

Since upsampling is easy to detect (it takes a minute to check a track in a spectrum analyzer software) , I don't understand why download stores don't verify this before selling the albums.

Concerning the Coltrane set, there is so far only this upsampling claim by Highresaudio, which could apply only to the files they received. It would be great if somebody could check the 24/192 files offered by other stores.

Claude

• 2 weeks later...

Some sessions have been recorded in mono, others in stereo.  I think the majority is mono (not sure though)

1958 was the year during which most US jazz labels switched to stereo recording, although mono LP pressings were still released for years to come.

The good thing about this set is that the sessions are now released chronologically. Initially, the tracks were mixed together on various albums, some released years after the recording took place (when Coltrane had already switched to other labels).

You can see that in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coltrane_discography#Prestige_Records

Claude