IGNORED

DigiOne Signature: transcoding or not transcoding?

I am running MinimServer (and upmpdcli + MPD) on the same RPi that hosts a DigiOne Signature. MinimServer can be set to transcode .flac files to .wav files. Is there any advantage, at least in theory, in doing so? When transcoding is on, the CPU load of the RPi is higher than when transcoding is off. Does this imply that the DigiOne Signature is then going to see a lower load? If not, it would probably be advisable to switch off transcoding. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 11:46 PM, nbpf said:

I am running MinimServer (and upmpdcli + MPD) on the same RPi that hosts a DigiOne Signature. MinimServer can be set to transcode .flac files to .wav files. Is there any advantage, at least in theory, in doing so? When transcoding is on, the CPU load of the RPi is higher than when transcoding is off. Does this imply that the DigiOne Signature is then going to see a lower load? If not, it would probably be advisable to switch off transcoding. Any thoughts?

I usually opt to perform all the transcoding at the server to minimise CPU load at the streamer/endpoint. This may or may not affect SQ.

10 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

I usually opt to perform all the transcoding at the server to minimise CPU load at the streamer/endpoint. This may or may not affect SQ.

Right but, as explained above, in my case the server is also the streamer/endpoint, hence my question. Anyway, after careful tests, I cannot hear any disadvantage when running server and streamer/endpoint on the same RPi that hosts the DigiOne Signature.