IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

41 minutes ago, Yiakubou said:

as there is enough correction mechanisms to ensure your data between router and NUC arrive bit-perfect.

43 minutes ago, Yiakubou said:

The only problem I'm aware is that as opposed to ethernet, wifi transfer works only one way - either you are sending data from sender to receiver or the other way around. It does not do both in parallel.

Now I would have thought that it can only work bidirectionally, because the protocol provides that lost packets are sent again, right? And how should the router know which packets to resend if it doesn't get any information from the receiver?

33 minutes ago, Yiakubou said:

- Ethernet is full duplex data transmission

- Wifi is half duplex data transmission

Okay thanks, I got it. 👍 My source: https://wlanport.de/information/wlanwiki/was-bedeutet-duplex-datenuebertragung-im-wlan

Addendum: 802.11b/g and 802.11n in the 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz frequency range as well as 802.11ac on 5 GHz enable the use of multiple channels. Thus, transmitter and receiver can communicate in parallel after all. 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, brucew said:

is my only option to restore to the Windows OS from my image backup, mess with Bios using Advancved Startup and then reinstall Euphony?

Windows can change some power settings, such as to maximum performance, power saving, or something else. 

Advanced Windows tools allow, for example, to control the clock frequency of individual cores. Euphony allows you to adjust the clock frequency of all cores within the limits set by the BIOS. 

Activating or deactivating Hyperthreading & Turbo Mode for Euphony can only be done in the BIOS. 

It makes no sense to reinstall Windows, since certain settings only run with the operating system. Try some settings in Euphony. If everything is good leave it like this. Alternatively you change some BIOS settings. For high power operation I have published some settings here.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, StreamFidelity said:

BIOS stands for "basic input / output system" and is the firmware on the mainboards. You can access the BIOS settings by clicking the F2 key several times during booting.

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Smaragdhk said:

Well, there is a clear difference if one ticks the "buffer to RAM' or not...

Processing in Audio PC passes through several memory layers. First in the CPU itself with L1-L3 caches. The L3 caches and L2 caches are memory in the CPU. L2 for the respective core and L3 for multi-core operation. The higher the memory, the lower the latencies, since less has to be moved to the slower working RAM. However, the CPU memories are still very small. For an Intel i9-13900K L3=36MB and L2=32MB.

A DRAM of today usually has 16GB or more. The RAM has much higher latencies than L2/L3 Caches, but much lower latencies than an SSD. Here is a good overview:

1d4c-gap-5web.jpg

Source: PC Perspective INTEL’S OPTANE DC PERSISTENT MEMORY DIMMS PUSH LATENCY CLOSER TO DRAM

The data from an SSD (or from streaming) is therefore always loaded into the RAM beforehand. Without RAM the computer does not work. 

What distinguishes normal data processing from buffers to RAM, when data always goes through RAM? 

With buffer to RAM, a complete piece of music or an entire album is loaded into RAM. The route from the SSD to RAM is no longer needed. Advantages: there is less noise and interrupts due to lower acitivities. The music can be played more interference-free. 

But it should not be forgotten that other memories are nevertheless unavoidable. For example the buffer at USB or Ethernet. It is all a complex interaction.