IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

25 minutes ago, audiocanyon said:

I haven't used Yale so I can't comment on it, but I downloaded the free version of Metadatics a couple years ago and it's been a fairly powerful and easy to use tool for editing metadata.

Yate with a 't' (Yah-tay) by 2 Many Robots. $20 bucks but with a 14-day free trial.

It's a great program - very easy and intuitive, but with a lot of automating / programming power if you dig in. (Good support and constantly being updated, too.)

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, DPS said:

The preference page RUNHOMESLOW is showing is the iTunes perefence page not Audirvana page.

That is correct. He's showing you how iTunes will create duplicates of your music files. If those two checkmarks are selected, iTunes will make a copy of your file in its own media folder, while leaving the original file wherever it was.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

You can try resseting it...

[clip]

Restart Mac, Restart Audirvana, Play a song, will ask to reinstall SysOpt.

Less extreme might just be a reboot. I don't know how you use Audirvana, but mine is on a dedicated computer, and I normally never turn it off. Every so often I get the SysOpt error message. I just restart the computer, and it clears for another month or so.

17 hours ago, JoshM said:

Has anyone run into the issue of long album titles being truncated in 3.5? Is there any way around this (text wrapping, font size, etc.)? I have a lot of year/edition/mastering info in brackets after albums.

Practically all my titles, album and track, are truncated on the computer screen and the iOS remote. More in some views, less in others. The iPhone version of the iOS app doesn't even support landscape view, so you're pretty much in the dark. I'm not aware of any preferences or other user control. If I really need to see all the info, I open the file in Yate or iTunes. Not elegant.

3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

Has anyone run into the issue of long album titles being truncated in 3.5?

And a propos, I just wanted to play a particular Haydn quartet... Well, a lot of classical composers have written lots of pieces with the same descriptor (not really a name) except for the number, or publication number (opus). So I have pages and pages (or screens and screens) of Haydn quartets that look like this in Audirvana. How do I get the particular one I want? 

IMG_3134.jpg

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't know about the iOS app, but on Mac you can adjust the width of the columns by dragging them with the mouse from the edges. Move the mouse around near the title of the column and you'll see it change, click and drag until its the size you want.

Mostly I use the iOS app (and my example was albums, not tracks), but even on the computer this isn't a solution. The larger you make any one field, the less info fits in other fields. In classical music both the album and the artist info can be quite lengthy.

There IS an easy answer, of course: wrapping text. Unfortunately, Audirvana hasn't chosen to allow that option.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Thanks, but still not working for me.

There are a billion tracks, don't find "Somewhere" in there, or in Lib/Albums.

When I've had Audirvana refuse to add a title to the library (by putting it in one of the monitored folders), I've been able to add just that album folder as a monitored one. (See "Piano Starts Here" in screen grab)

Library prefs.jpg

• 1 month later...

ThijsA, I can't really help, except to say that I also listen using the iOS Audirvana Remote (usually on the iPad, less often on the phone), no direct access to the Mac, classical music, always in Album view. (Usually selecting from Playlists to keep the catalogue a bit more manageable.) It does work.

A+ Remote can be slow loading, but I do see everything. (I believe the speed of loading has to do with covers, and the reason Tracks view is faster may be because of the small thumbnails. But on the iPhone version of remote, you get thumbnails, too...)

Where is your music? How is the Mini connected to where the files are?

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Undertone said:

My Mac Mini has 16GB of RAM configured in a RAID array. 

Are you sure it's your RAM that's configured as a RAID? Usually RAID configurations are used for hard drives. (Perhaps this is a video editor trick for speed?)

What level of RAID is it using? (RAID 0, RAID 1, etc - these are totally different in the amount of memory the computer can actually see. RAID 0 would let you use all 16GB, I think, while RAID 1 would only allow 8GB, but mirrored.) There are at least 6 RAID configurations. Most of them would reduce your 16GB to smaller amounts, with redundancies.

2 hours ago, Undertone said:

bnbayer, you are correct on both points. My previous post does not make sense. Apologies for the misstatements, but I can't edit the earlier post.

RAID joins two or more hard drives or SSDs. Disk Utility shows that my Mac Mini has two 250GB internal SSDs configured in a RAID 0 array. RAID 0 produces faster read/write speeds for video editing purposes. 

My Mini has two 8GB DDR3 RAM for a total of 16GB. I have been using Activity Monitor to monitor the Memory Used and Cached Files numbers in relation to audio dropouts when playing DSD128 files. If I'm pushing the Mini past its capacity to stream DSD128 without intermittent dropouts, then I'll have to find another solution.

One thing I've begun doing is running the "sudo purge" command in Terminal, once or twice each listening session, to keep the maximum amount of memory available for Audirvana. 

OK - I'm not a techie, and my setup is different... but at least now I think I understand your setup!

I don't think the RAID is relevant: that's handled by the MacOS and the RAID software. Audirvana should just see a hard drive. And even without RAID striping, the SSD should be more than fast enough for Audirvana. (NB: My RAID is a NAS, but I don't think yours being internal should matter.)

If I understand that your files are not stored on the SSD, you might try that as an experiment. Copy the whole piece (not just one track) to the SSD, and get Audirvana to play from there.

The time showing on the slider dropping to 0 @768kHz isn't normal. It should keep going up as you increase the buffer memory. That might be a clue. (That's not your RAID, but the 16GB DDR3 RAM.) Mine goes up to my total RAM less about 1 Gig - it should let you go up to about 15GB.

Are the dropouts repeatable? (ie, always in the same spot?) The closest thing I have to your problem is on a DXD (24/352.8) Mahler 3, which has a momentary dropout about 70 minutes in. Always. (If I re-start from that movement - not from the beginning of the work - it plays right through without the dropout.) I've wondered if the buffer is not re-filling until it's completely empty, and it always runs out at this same spot.

30 minutes ago, Undertone said:

My music files are stored on a 4TB USB-attached and -powered external HD. I could copy an entire classical piece in large files to the SSD; but would I need to create a separate Audirvana database for it, or just point to that file location? 

The first screenshot shows that the max. memory allocation slider can be set to 15k MB, but notice that the time indicator shows only 10 minutes at 768kHZ. The time indicator resets to zero minutes when the slider is moved past 8.2k MB

I doubt this is your problem, but it would be fun to try, just to positively rule it out. (You've got this blazing hot SSD set-up, you might as well play with it! It would also be interesting to find if you can hear any difference. Taking a physical HD and a USB cable out of the path might open things up a bit...) So, put the files in a single folder, go to Preferences>Library, click on the + sign and select the folder on the SSD. This will give you a duplicate in your library, so I would suggest changing the album title a bit on the copy. When you're done playing, go back to the Prefs and click the - button for that folder. Or call it "Test" and just delete the files and put other ones in. (You could also do a drag-and-drop to the Play Queue instead.)

I see what the slider is doing, and it looks like a bug to me. (I can't test on my system as I only have 8MG RAM.) The question, of course, is whether whatever is causing this glitch in the slider also prevents Audirvana from buffering correctly over 8MB. 

24 minutes ago, Undertone said:

I'll replace the HD with an external SSD, since the internal SSD on the Mini isn't large enough to hold my growing library. 

Glad it works!

May I suggest going with a RAID for your external SSD? Your investment in time and money on all that music needs all the redundancies and back-ups you can manage. If you have at least a 3-drive RAID you can set it up for both redundancy and improved performance (RAID 5, I think). Use your old RAID for backup.

• 1 month later...

The Mac program, the iOS iPhone app, and the iOS iPad app are completely different in some ways, including this. You may also notice that the iPad has both a portrait and a landscape view, and they're very different. The iPhone has no landscape view - and it really needs it as the width of the vertical iPhone is so small.

No, sorry... I have problems on my iOS remotes, but not on the Mac itself. I would assume it's a network issue: is your Mini on wifi or wired Ethernet?

If you go to Preferences, and scroll all the way down, there are some maintenance functions. I'd try "Rebuild Indexes" (should be "Indices" but who's counting?) 

• 7 months later...
45 minutes ago, vicento said:

There is an ad in What HiFi magazine about something new: AUDIRVANA STUDIO.

What is AUDIRVANA STUDIO? Can someone shed some light on this?

And there is a whole thread about the install and teething issues here: