IGNORED

XLD Mac and problems reading some CDs

I have used XLD on my iMac with external Apple USB SuperDrive to rip about 400 CDs.

There were a few (probably about 10) that would not work at all on XLD, but still ripped via iTunes. I resorted to using an old MacBook with internal CD/DVD drive - which dealt with the culprits.

I have now just bought a (brand new) CD which mounts on the desktop, and shows the tracks present. With XLD on automatically open, it just ends up tryng to detect pre-gap and ejects.

And it won't import in iTunes or even allow Finder drag and drop copy of any of the files. I no longer have the old MacBook, so am a bit stuffed.

It requires me to Relaunch Finder if I try to copy tracks, force quit XLD, etc..

So, suspecting my 5-year lf SuperDrive might be wearing out, I have bought a generic USB 3 CD/DVD drive - but this CD will still not rip, play or anything else.

I have UNchecked detect pregap and have instead File > Open Audio CD, and XLD is about 30 minutes in to trying to read the pre-gap (because the progress bar IS actually moving albeit terrifically slowly (about 20% across after 30 mins).

The CD plays 100% reliably in my CD/SACD player.

Any thoughts?

I believe that the ripper part of dbpoweramp is still free - for me it has proved the most reliable ripper on my Mac (I have used XLD, MAX and JRiver).  

Things I have done in the past to solve ripping issues have been:

Giving the disc a good clean.

Setting error checking to a minimum just to see if I can get any kind of rip.

Changing USB ports (my Mac is temperamental with USB hubs and even prefers certain inbuilt USB ports over others).

Changing USB cables.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors, Roon

• 1 year later...