IGNORED

T+A new flagship streaming dsd1024 dac

Hi OE333,

As a T + A fan, I've missed a high-quality streaming DAC in the HV segment for some time now. Nice that there is one now.

Currently I enjoy listening to the Holo Audio Spring DAC contrary to the usual opinion in oversampling (OS) DSD mode: Either PCM or DSD input over all sampled DSD approach to digital to analog converter.

That sounds very good to my ears. Some manufacturers also go this way and convert every signal (including PCM) into DSD. For example EMM Labs DAC V2 or PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Optionally also in Lumin DACs.

Is this option also possible in the SDV3100HV / SD3100HV?

I heard the new streaming DAC at King Music in Berlin. If interested, my report (in German).

Report on T+A SDV 3000 HV

• 3 weeks later...

@Cortes

I want to perform this unequal test, but not double blind test.😎

My DAC story is a bit unusual. When comparing a Linn Klimax DSM and the T+A MP 3000 HV, I came to the decision to sell the Linn. Not because the device was bad, but because it did not sound better in my ears than the MP 3000.

Because I once wanted to have a R2R DAC I bought the Armature Asterion Holo Spring DACWith this device I discovered my new preference for DSD, which the MP 3000 can not convert. The Spring DAC from France costs 1.6 k € and has replaced my MP 3000.

My setup currently looks like this:

35566350ck.png 

With the HQPlayer I convert everything in DSD 256. Theoretically synonymous DSD 512, but I suspect a bottleneck in the USB interface (XMOS U208) from Spring DAC. I am very curious, what I can push over the SD 3100 and how it sounds. I'll get the SD 3100 HV in a few weeks.

Yes, it was the Linn Klimax Katalyst. I had an upgrade done then. By the way a service, which T+A would be good to face. 😉

I did not hear any DSD at the time.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mario, many thanks. 

When do you want to come back in my listening room? I hope as soon as possible after we have all been vaccinated against Corona. ✌️

• 1 year later...

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has NAA on board and I asked T+A support if a NAA update was in the works. The answer was that NAA has the software version 4.4. 

How does this different versioning come about? Is this really newer then 4.3?

Would an update on the part of T+A make sense?

• 1 year later...

I am linking this interesting answer because it concerns the SDV 3100 HV:

1 hour ago, OE333 said:

Well, the DSD1 / DSD2 modes of the SDV3100HV are a special feature of the SDV DAC which the DAC200 does not have. In the SDV3100HV the DSD DAC consists of 16 DAC elements. In DSD1 mode all 16 elements are used in a serial configuration working at the full sample frequency (that meany at 49.152 MHz in case of DSD1024x48).

In DSD2 mode the 16 DAC elements are configured as two serial FIR-DACs with 8 elements each. The DSD signal is fed in an alternating manner to these two DAC chains. As a consequence the DACs have to run at half the sampling rate only.

All this is descibed in more detail in the User Mnual on page 66:  SDV3100HV User Manual

The DAC1 mode will result in a slightly better signal/noise ratio and the DSD2 mode might have a slightly lower distortion.

The difference between both variants is very small.

I personally would recommend the DSD1 mode - especially for DSD rates of 512 and below.

NOS1/NOS2

The PCM DAC modes NOS1 / NOS2 were introduced as a new feature with the DAC200.

Technically it would not be a problem adding these modes to the SDV3100HV with one of the next firmware updates. I will discuss this with my colleagues and see what can be done....

The SDV 3100 HV is also the only T+A DAC that has HQPlayer NAA on board. An excellent ultra-stable network connection with low noise. I am in contact with T+A to get an update to the new HQPlayer NAA. I hope they do it.

Feb 27 2024

Network Audio Daemon 5.0.0 released!
New fifth generation of the NAA protocol. Support for; multiple connections/devices, buffer level info, low delay mode, hardware volume control, passing playback position, and passing metadata (including picture). Improved behavior under various networking environments and situations.