IGNORED

Multichannel Sound Systems using stereo recordings

Ralf11

2 hours ago, STC said:

Define multichannel. If you are going to rely on the virtual sound, Dolby Pro Logic to make stereo material to be multichannel then it is not going to meet audiophiles standard or expectation. 

My definition encompasses only discrete, lossless sources played without up-mixing and it excludes any synthesis, matrixing or up-mixing.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

14 hours ago, STC said:

I am not concerned about other channels besides the main left and right being lossless unless they are object oriented. 

If I was to compromise, I would insist on L/C/R being lossless.  However, there are no options other than all discrete/lossless and none, AFAIK.

14 hours ago, STC said:

Btw,  I am looking for multichannel classical recordings where the applause is restricted to the surround/rear channels. I would grateful if you could give a name or two.  

I have no idea.  Almost all my recordings do not have any applause on them.  There are some "recorded-live" BluRay concerts with applause and a very, very few derived from SACD/DVD-A.  For the life of me, I cannot recall which channels the applause is on because I don't pay any attention to it.

Kal Rubinson

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's say you only have stereo recordings in your collection...

How much better will a multichannel sound system sound?

Stereo recordings will play over the L/R speakers as stereo and, therefore, will sound no different from the way they sound now.

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

Isn't it funny how just about everybody who has responded failed to comprehend this simple sentence?

Fixed.

Kal Rubinson

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

True.  But besides your def'n above, do you think up-mixing will add much to a recording done in stereo?

Hard to answer.  I have not been satisfied with any of the up-mixers I have tried.  Some like them.

OTOH, I said what I said because some people seem to think that multichannel systems are inherently inferior to stereo systems in their playback of stereo material but there is no reason to expect that.

Kal Rubinson

57 minutes ago, STC said:

The audience applause is the key to see how much space information was captured to justify 5.1 multichannel for classical music.This is a key weakness in recreation of 3D space when the applause direction comes from the front stage. But this is OT.

Ah.  I now recall no more than I did before but I am almost certain that having applause eminate from the front would have surprised and annoyed me.  It's likely I would recall and I do not.

59 minutes ago, STC said:

The option to use stereo with multichannel is to send the same signal convoluted to the surround/rear. The concept is available with DTS Virtual X. A similar option is available with a different name in Denon or Marantz AVR, IIRC. The only way you to demonstrate which of these going to sound better is when unadulterated neutral listeners evaluate both options in blind tests. You should try this with some stereo recording in your multichannel system.

I have tried the dts, Dolby and Auro options as well as several others.

Kal Rubinson

29 minutes ago, Axial said:

A different but expensive alternative ...

Not it is not.  The Beolab 90 is a highly successful effort to make an ideal speaker with a controlled and relatively narrow dispersion and its development has little or nothing to do with multichannel or immersive playback.  I  know them well:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/bang-olufsen-beolab-90-loudspeaker

FWIW, I've had a pair in my living room.  Having 5 would be more than formidable.O.o

Kal Rubinson

34 minutes ago, esldude said:

Were I you Kal, I'd immediately ask to do a full review of a full Auros 3D setup using those, some Dutch 8&8 C's and Kii Threes.  A shootout of the new DSP speakers if you will.  That voice of god position for the Beolab 90 should be something if nothing else.  :)

Let me ask my wife about that.😎

Kal Rubinson