IGNORED

From 0 to NUC/AL/RAM in 2 hours

I just did the same build and was planning to post some pics but your post covers everything. I just went with a Windows 10 and JRMC install but the hardware is almost identical. Had a bit of problems sourcing the Intel NUC7i7BDNE board but got one from a company called SimplyNUC. The want to sell it with RAM and SSD but you can get the bareboard. I had an SSD and only needed to buy the RAM which I got elsewhere. The case was ordered on Amazon and took two weeks to arrive. It was easier to build than my previous build I did a couple years ago using an i5 NUC board and the first Akasa fanless case. One thing I noted was that this does not have an IR receiver while my older one did. I used an IR remote for a while but haven't used it in a long time so not a major loss. My NUC does double duty as a home theatre player for which I have VLC installed. 

That first smoke test is always a bit of a pucker moment while you wait for it to boot up and come to life. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, bobfa said:

I found that if you start the "purchase" process on the Intel NUC site it shows you places to buy the product.  By doing that with Simply NUC you can avoid their up-sell items.  I have purchased from SimplyNUC also.  The Akasa cases seem to be in low stock.  I wonder if we are increasing the demand??

Thanks for sharing what you built and your experience. 

Yes, using the Intel site is eventually that is how I got to the bare board at SimplyNUC as it is almost impossible to find it otherwise. They were the only people that actually had stock. I ended up getting the Akasa case on Amazon but had to wait a couple weeks. Not sure if it is because it is new or because of demand that it took a while but it did come from the UK apparently. My original Akasa case I bought directly from Akasa in Taiwan prior to its general release as a developer's prototype. Having my own company (not in the IT industry) can be useful. Akasa makes great fanless cases for the NUC which is why I went back to them. Good for them if the demand is increasing as it should. It was a very easy build and everything fit well. I have been watching the temps on the core and am hovering around 35C which is great. Granted with the work it is doing that processor is idling.