IGNORED

The flaws of blind listening tests

3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

In all cases, my expectations were set by the glowing reviews but in all cases my ears told me that in my system those enhancements weren’t getting me closer to my goal of greater musical enjoyment.

I agree with this 100%. I spent several weeks at the budget end of the HiFi market building my computer-sourced HiFi system through trial and error. Highly-rated components (e.g. a DAC) caused me no end of grief with noise, as did many cables. Some components didn't produce the sound that emotionally involved me. After trialling many different components, cables, speakers, I settled upon a set of components that worked well together in my 2.1 system. In fact, I even had to get my IEC power cable replaced by the manufacturer of my subwoofer to get it 'dark' enough for my ears, one which has a mysterious black box in the middle of the cable. Imagine that, replacing an IEC power cable!!!

I enjoy the music from this system for around 5 hours a day when I'm working from home.

Back in the 80s/90s it took me around 10 years to build up a decent HiFi system through 2-3 upgrades of components and cables every year, all through trial and error.

That's why it's a hobby for me - it's the same as cycling, photography, etc. All are wallet-emptying but thoroughly enjoyable and absorbing. It's a top-down approach for me - start off with a sound in your mind that you are seeking and then hook together the tech that delivers that sound.