IGNORED

Suggestions for a low-cost DAC?

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard the big Rogue amp and it is very "liquid" in a good way.

I changed my amp recently - a NuPrime but not the Class D one - $400 and it is very nice; you can find a thread on here which I started - it was active last week if not more recently

It is true that different technologies result in some different sound qualities in a DAC; IIRC the DacMagic is an R2R type.

Also, by AKM he means Asahi Kasei Microdevices, a leading manf. of mixed signal devices, not the assault rifle...

aa.jpg

best advice is to just avoid MQA if at all possible

as to possibly missing better SQ, you could try another DAC that has a return privilege

I am having good results with getting better versions of masterings/recordings on music I like...

- and also found an amplifier that sounded better to me

• 2 weeks later...

analog output stages affect SQ in amps, pre-amps, so.... why not the DAC

that is also something that a digital circuit engineer may be inclined to ignore, just like they ignore their engineering heat exchange class...

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the S2 - esp. if you compare it to an RME...

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Well folks, I've tracked this down. Turns out that when I bus powered the S2D directly from the Espressobin, I got the same static (like an LP record with crackling) on the S2D as on the DX7s (the DX7s has an AC connection) but when I bus power the S2 using an Uptone ISO Regen, itself supplied by an LPS1.2, the S2 sounds great!

This is the biggest improvement I've heard with an ISO Regen ... ever ... hands down bar none. Its weird that they both have the same issue, perhaps the ESS chips are very power supply sensitive (the iDSD Micro doesn't have this same sensitivity for me). 

The S2D is sounding pretty great through the Regen/LPS.

I'm not clear on what configurations you have compared...

S2 w/Regen vs. S2 w/o ??

S2 (how?) vs. the BL version ??  (which is a battery operated DAC, right?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think we out ot break up this thread into various categories:

$100 -

$200 -

$400 - Pro ject??

$700 - same with quality power supply

$1,000 - that Octagon thing Kal posted on recently...

etc.

we could also use a 1, 2, 5 sieving of categories like on Tek scopes...